Booters Trap the Tigers, 4-1

By Colin F. Boyle

It was pouring cats and dogs in Princeton, N.J., last night, and the rain helped the Harvard women's soccer team end its scoring drought.

After suffering through five straight shutouts, the Crimson exploded for four goals in a 4-1 drubbing of the Tigers in the mud.

Harvard Captain Amy Winston assisted on the Crimson's first two goals to help rekindle the team's offensive flame.

Sophomore midfielder Susan Carls took a Winston pass 14:47 into the game and scored her first collegiate goal to put the Crimson (4-7 overall, 2-2 Ivy League) ahead, 1-0.

Winston also fed the ball to midfielder Heather Jackson who put it behind Princeton netminder Kendra Short for the team's second goal at 25:50.

The Tigers soon rallied back to cut Harvard's lead in half. After Crimson goaltender Beth Reilly made a save on a shot by Kathy Kobler, Princeton forward Debbie Hodges knocked in the rebound at 31:40 to make it 2-1.

But with less than two minutes left in the half, Harvard again rained on Princeton's parade to get back into the game. Junior Jen Gifford took a corner kick that a Tiger defender into her own net to put the Crimson up, 3-1, going into the half.

In the second half, the wet and sloppy field got wetter and sloppier as the heavy onslaught of rain drenched the players.

Harvard scored its final goal when sophomore forward Christin Biggs broke into the Princeton zone, took a shot which Short saved, and then knocked in her own rebound.

THE NOTEBOOK:The Crimson outshot the Tigers, 10-6...Senior goaltender Liz Wald replaced Reilly at the end of the game...Harvard has only two games remaining on its schedule, both home games at Ohiri Field against Ivy opponents.