Pennsylvania Demolishes Stickwomen In Ivy Opener

While others were sleeping in yesterday, members of the Harvard field hockey team left at the crack of dawn for Philadelphia. There they encountered a formidable Pennsylvania team, which beat them, 4-0.

Despite what the score may imply, the game was evenly played. Co-Captain Katie McAnaney called it "very fast moving."

Despite the fast-paced nature of the game, "we marked well and were able to stay with their players," McAnaney said.

Penn's offense was aggressive, making second and third cuts for every ball and free hit. The Quakers frequently played the ball in the air, a practice only manageable on turf fields. Harvard plays its home games on natural grass.

The second half proved much more trying for the Crimson. Harvard had trouble getting the ball out of the defensive end, which resulted in an inability to generate scoring opportunities.

The Crimson (now 3-3) had trouble judging the speed of the ball, sometimes hitting it too hard and watching it fly out of bounds.

Penn outshot the stickwomen, 25-15, with nine of its shots coming off of perfectly executed penalty corners. Harvard Co-Captain and goaltender Denise Katsias made 13 saves.

Harvard played tight defense below the 25-yd. line. But all too often the Crimson got the ball and couldn't get it past the 50. Harvard clearing hits frequently wound up on Penn sticks.

Sweeper Lynn Frangione had a "spectacular" game, according to McAnaney, while fellow defensewoman Erin O'Brien also put in a strong performance.

In the second half, the tired stickwomen were unable to match Penn's offensive output. Losing to Penn, the nation's 11th-ranked team, is no disgrace.