W. Ruggers Avenge Only Loss, 16-0

By Casey J. Lartigue jr

The Radcliffe rugby club had a simple game plan for its rematch against Williams College Saturday at Soldiers Field.

"We weren't going to let them through us this time," Co-Captain Eliza Schwarz said.

The Black and White (6-1 overall) blanked the Ephwomen, 16-0, to avenge a 4-0 loss to Williams three weeks ago in the semifinals of the Mayor's Cup tournament.

"They're the only team that has beaten us this year," Schwarz said, "so we were happy to beat them. There was a lot of determination out there, and the whole team played really well."

Behind the combination of strong play from its forward pack and good open-field running from its backs, the Black and White took an 8-0 lead into the half.

Fullback Cheri Curry got Radcliffe on the board with a 20-yard run after a long drive, the first of her two trys in the game.

For the second consecutive week, the eight-man pick-up play resulted in a score for eight-man Alex Williams.

The sophomore picked up the ball from a scrummage set-up and ran to the weak side of the field. The aggressive Ephwoman defense ran past her, and Williams rumbled in for the score.

"There were no defenders there, so that was pretty cool," Schwarz said. "She's a pretty strong runner, and she didn't have any trouble scoring."

Curry tallied her second try of the day midway through the second half. She fielded a short Williams kick and coasted 40 yards for the score.

Radcliffe next meets the University of Vermont in Burlington, Vt. The Black and White opened the season by defeating the Wildcats, 13-6.