Graham to Campaign On Campus

As part of an effort to rebound from her Democratic primary loss, State Rep. Saundra Graham (D-Cambridge) plans to take her writein/sticker campaign to Harvard, campaign officials said.

Graham, who is asking voters to place stickers with her name or write in her name on their election day ballots, is sponsoring meetings with student voters and enlisting student volunteers. Graham's name will not appear on the printed ballot because she lost her party's nomination race.

According to Shelley L. Taylor '83, Graham's student coordinator, the campaign's campus activities will include an organizational meeting at Adams House tomorrow and an open forum sponsored by the Black Students Association at Phillip Brooks House on October 13.

Campaign workers will set up information tables at upperclass houses, and leaflets will be distributed at all dormitories, Taylor said.

Students in Graham's district, the 28th Middlesex, include residents of the freshman Union dorms, Dunster and Mather Houses, Peabody Terrace and parts of Adams and Leverett Houses. MIT and Lesley College are also covered in the district.

"We are dealing with a core group of politically active students who can help mobilize the rest of the electorate," said Michael Albano, Graham's campaign manager.

Active campaigning by Harvard students, rather than their potential power as a voting bloc, will serve as their primary contribution to Graham's effort, Albano said.

"There is definitely a large portion of undergraduates and graduates who are not registered but live here," Albano said, adding that students can help convert graduates, faculty and others who are registered to vote in the area.

Pamela Thomure, Graham's former campaign manager, said student volunteers will aid in the effort to publicize new procedures that govern this year's election. "People will be voting in different places due to a rezoning of the districts; they will also have to be told how to vote by sticker. It's not a simple process."

Taylor said she anticipates a positive response to the campaign's campus recruitment, citing the candidate's involvement in community service issues often supported by students. "Students are usually allies of Saundra's," she said.