Public TV System Launched

CCTV Offers Three Channels for Community Use

Cambridge Community Television (CCTV) last week inaugurated a network of three public-access cable channels for local programming.

The television company has been experimenting with its system since July, but the company made its official debut on the cable scene last Thursday, with a conference on "Cable and the Community," said Technical Director David P. Avellone. He said the conference would include an open house for business groups.

CCTV is a private nonprofit organization. A separate, private company has broadcast meetings of the City Council, the School Committee and selected city agencies for more than a year.

The spokeswoman said the channels' chief purpose is "to train people in the use" of public access TV. Users must be Cambridge residents and learn to use the equipment. CCTV will not require further qualifications, she said.

Asked if any controversy could arise from what is broadcast, CCTV office manager Primma L. Ford replied, "Of course, it is to be expected." Executive Director Irwin Hipman added, "There will be everything from the most mundane to the most controversial...but, overall, we reflect Cambridge."

As part of last week's ceremonies, the cable network presented an award to Joseph Seike, director of the Cambridge Public Library, said Ford. She said Seike "is responsible for getting public access here in Cambridge."

CCTV will offer programming on channels 19, 54 and 55. Channel 19, the "primary channel," will provide evening entertainment. Channel 54 will offer multicultural, multilingual programs, and Channel 55 is reserved for citizens who reserve broadcast slots by becoming members of the network.

Membership costs $15 for cable subscribers and $25 for non-subscribers. Anyone can become a member, and non-members may still broadcast on Channels 19 and 54.