Carter's 9th-Inning Double Tops Dodgers

Mets Steal 1-0 Lead in N.L. Championship Series

LOS ANGELES--Gary Carter's bloop double to center field with two outs in the ninth inning scored two runs and gave New York a dramatic 3-2 victory over Los Angeles last night and a 1-0 lead in the National League playoffs.

The Mets had been shut out for eight innings by Dodger starter Orel Hershiser, who came into the game off a record streak of 59 consecutive scoreless innings.

Met rookie Gregg Jefferies, who had three hits, led off the ninth with a single and moved to second when Keith Hernandez grounded to first. Darryl Strawberry doubled to right to score Jefferies.

Jay Howell relieved Hershiser and walked Kevin McReynolds. He struck out Howard Johnson and had two strikes on Carter. The Mets catcher then blooped a short fly to center that John Shelby, playing deep, failed to catch with a diving attempt.

The ball dribbled past Shelby a few feet and, with the runners moving on the play, McReynolds came all the way around from first and just beat Shelby's throw to the plate.

The second game of the best-of-seven series is scheduled tonight at Dodger Stadium, starting at 10:05 EDT. The Mets will send David Cone, 20-3, against rookie Tim Belcher, 12-6.

Randy Myers pitched two innings in relief of Dwight Gooden to get the victory. Howell took the loss.

Gooden allowed only four hits and struck out 10 in seven innings of a game that more than lived up to its billing as a pitchers' duel.

Hershiser's regular-season streak broke the major league mark of 58 set by the Dodgers' Don Drysdale in 1968. It does not, however, officially carry into the postseason.

The last run Hershiser had allowed was in the fifth inning against Montreal on August 30. The right-hander then pitched five straight shutouts and went 10 scoreless innings against San Diego on Sept. 28 to set the record.

Hershiser, 23-8 during the season with eight shutouts, allowed seven hits, struck out five and walked just one batter in eight-and-one-third innings. He used a variety of pitches to fool the Mets, who had outscored the Dodgers 49-18 in winning 10 of 11 games during the season, including all six here.

Manager Tommy Lasorda has hinted Hershiser may pitch two more games in the series, if necessary.

Gooden remained unbeaten at Dodger Stadium. He entered the game with a 4-0 record in six starts at Los Angeles, having allowed two earned runs in 53 innings for a 0.34 earned-run average.