Math Problems

MAIL:

To the Editors of the Crimson:

I am deeply disappointed with the Math 21a section teachers. I am a sophomore majoring in biochemistry, and for my schedule it is basically imperative that I take Math 21a this semester, as is the case for many other students.

Unfortunately, through my own experience in looking at three different sections, as well as other friends who have been in all sections, there is not a single one able to convey the mathematical concepts and principals involved in a clear and concise manner.

The various factors involved are poor teaching abilities, consisting of inability to use the English language, poor communication abilities, and covering difficult topics with a speed that is appropriate only for the abilities of graduate students, if even they would be able to follow some of the presentations that have been delivered in this past week of classes.

My purpose is not to gripe, but to request an immediate change. Two hundred-odd students will simply not learn the math that is being taught, and thus their futures in their respective fields will be harmed. Further-more, if one section leader is better than another, the nature of the course is such that this difference in teaching ability will reflect unfairly upon those students who had the pure chance of being in a better section, while the other students will suffer the adverse effects.

For this semester, then, I would like to request an immediate change in instructors to include those who receive better ratings from the CUE guide and other sources, such as Robin Gottlieb, Deborah Hughes Hallet, Sylvain Laroche, Mark McConnell, etc. Math 21a is one of the most important courses for science majors, and thus good professors should not be hidden away for the upper level courses.

For the future, I suggest that this class be taught in a lecture format three times a week, with an extra section. Joshua L. Bonkovsky