New Coaches Direct Brown, Clarkson

ECAC Rookie Coaches

By Christine Dimino

Each season, sports teams change. The composition of the team evolves as players graduate and freshmen enter the program. But when a new head coach takes over, a team can change dramatically.

For the hockey teams of Brown and Clarkson, the new season marks the introduction of new head coaches and the possibility of change.

Last April, Bob Gaudet took over as head coach for Brown. After graduating from Dartmouth in 1981, Gaudet signed with the Winnepeg Jets, and played goalie for their Tulsa team in the IHL for two years. Gaudet then returned to Dartmouth where he was an assistant coach for the last five years.

The Brown team Gaudet inherits from Herb Hammond finished with a 3-22-1 record last year. "The talent was better than the record indicated," Gaudet says.

Brown's major weakness last year was that it allowed a lot of shots on goal. "We want to shore up on team defense," Gaudet says. "The offensive part will take care of itself."

Three freshmen who will help close the defensive gap are Rick Olczyk, Brad Hendrickson and Craig Pho. Olczyk and Hendrickson are not big, but they are strong and quick, Gaudet says. Pho is 6-ft., 1-in, 185 pounds. "He's a good skater who has command of the puck," Gaudet notes.

Five freshmen fowards will try to give the Bruin offense a lift. Michael Brewer, Joe Verderber, Grant Swenson, Darrin McKay and Jeff Schmitz are all described by Gaudet as "good solid players."

At 29, Gaudet, along with his two assistant coaches, Scott Borek, 26, and Mark Taylor, 25, comprise one the youngest coaching staffs in college hockey.

Brown hopes the young staff will build a future giant. "This is a sport Brown thinks we can do well in," Gaudet says. "We're trying to build a solid program."

What happens when you take over a team that has lost two of its best goal-scorers and a veteran defenseman? If you're Clarkson's Mark Morris, who replaced NHL-bound Cap Raeder, you stay cool.

"This year, we don't expect to win," Morris says, "but we hope to be as competitive as we can."

A graduate of Colgate, Morris played for the Los Angeles Kings' minor league team in New Haven for three seasons. He was an assistant coach at Union for one year. For the last three years, Morris was an assistant coach at St. Lawrence.

Last year's team finished 17-15. In the ECAC playoffs, the Golden Knights beat Cornell and Harvard and ended up in the finals where they lost to St. Lawrence.

This year's team is a "team of pluggers and grinders," Morris says. "They play with a lot of heart."

Six freshmen and one transfer student will help rebuild the Clarkson team. Ken Anderson, a defenseman, moves the puck well and is a steady player. Tony Calandra and Alex Weinrich are defensemen who have "good potential," Morris says. Jeff Torrey is a foward who has switched to playing defense. "He is going to fit right in," Morris says.

Rich Denicourt, a forward, is a fast skater and a hard worker, Morris says. Ed Sable is a forward trying to make the team, and forward Todd Tyo is a junior transfer from Canton College.

Morris and his assistants, Steve Dagdigian '75 and George Roll, look forward to the season. "Anything can happen in college hockey," Morris says. "If we play with a lot of intensity, we will win our share of hockey games."

"We will work hard to get back on top," Morris adds.

For Bob Gaudet and Mark Morris, the upcoming hockey season offers new challenges. "As an assistant, you basically do a lot of recruiting and have imput," Gaudet says, "but as a head coach, you're decision is the final one."

Change can be a good thing.

Last year, the ECAC's rookie class was one of the best in recent seasons. Players such as RPI's Joe Juneau and Harvard's Peter Ciavaglia left lasting impressions on last year's ECAC action.

This season should be no different. Besides two rookie coaches, the ECAC will have its share of rookies skating on the ice. Here are some of the league's new faces:

Harvard: Richie DeFraitis, D; Brian McCormack, D; Chuckie Hughes, G, Allain Roy, G; Kevin Sneddon, D; Timmy Burke, F; Jimmy Coady, F, Greg Hess, D.

Princeton: Jack Craig, D; Dan Creedon, F; Jeff Kampersal, D; Chris Stewart, F; Dan Slatalla, F; Scott Mattison, F; Glenn Stevens, G.

Vermont: Jeremy Benoit, D; Jim Larkin, F; Mike McLaughlin, F; Leif Selstad, F.

Colgate: Ken Baker, G; Jamie Cook, F; Dave Doherty, F; Jason Greyerbiehl, F.

Army: Steve Brink, F; Sean Code, G; Mike Kelsey, F; Kevin Darby, F; Ross Erzar, F; Brandon Hayes, G; Matt Machon, D; Bob MacLeod, D.