Harvard Braces for The Game

Security Forces Anticipate Few Problems

By Madhavi Sunder

University police will be "maximizing" their efforts at The Game tomorrow, covering the entire ground inside and outside The Stadium with a full force, officials said.

Harvard Deputy Police Chief Jack Morse said the department was not expecting any problems "out of the ordinary for a big crowd" and added that he didn't "recall the last Game being much of a problem."

Morse said most problems would be related to traffic, parking, alcohol, medical emergencies and ticket scalpers.

Harvard Police Chief Paul Johnson added that Yale weekend was "quite different from the Head of the Charles" and that he did not anticipate locking extra gates to the Yard this weekend.

Metropolitan and Cambridge police will also assist at The Game and throughout the weekend.

"Harvard and Yale always have good times," said Lt. Calvin Kantor of the Cambridge Police Department. "The number of problems we're expecting is no more than usual on a Saturday night in the Harvard Square area."

As for University measures, house rules regarding security and number of guests vary.

Leverett House Master John Dowling said he was "looking for a nice weekend" and anticipated no problems. Aside from making all resident tutors available, there will be no extra security or limit on the number of guests in the house, Dowling said. He added that Leverett House was encouraging guests by sponsoring an Open House and athletic contests.

Dudley House Master Paul D. Hanson however, said he wanted to "keep a lid on the number of guests" in the house. He explained the house would most likely have some form of registration for guests.

Winthrop House Co-Master Martha Davis said there would be no limit on the number of guests at the house, and that Winthrop has hired extra help for the weekend.

Despite the fact that the University anticipates few alcohol-related problems and has planned only minimal extra security measures, area liquor stores say Yale weekend gets "pretty crazy" and is one of their busiest times of the year.

"It's the busiest day of the year barring none," said Tom Dezell, store manager for the Harvard Provisional Company.

"There's going to be an awful lot of beer on hand," said Bob Rotondo, store manager for Keg King. "The final clubs go crazy."

Keg King is expecting to sell 400 to 500 barrels of beer this week, according to Rotondo. He said that alcohol sales for Yale weekend have risen every year.

Rotondo added that his store has had no problems with alcohol during Yale weekend in the past, and that in general he has found Cambridge to be "very calm."

"People are buying more alcohol every year, but the problems have been less and less," Rotondo said.