Big Red, Quakers Split Ivy League Crown

Ivy League Wrap

If only the represenatives of Bowl games could do as good a job scheduling their games as the Ivy League. For the third consecutive season, the Ivy League race went down to the final week with the number one and two teams battling head-to-head.

Cornell beat Penn to share the Ivy crown with the Quakers. Last year, Harvard defeated Yale to grab the league title outright. Two years ago, Penn nipped Cornell to take home an outright crown.

Penn and Cornell finished with 6-1 league records. Princeton and Dartmouth tied for third with 4-3 marks. Yale was 3-3-1. Columbia and Harvard were 2-5 and Brown was 0-6-1.

Cornell 19 Penn 6

Cornell gained a share of the Ivy title and denied Penn an outright crown and undefeated season when it defeated the Quakers, 19-6, in Ithaca, N.Y.

The Big Red employed a relentless running attack which chewed away at the Penn defense. The Big Red ran the ball 66 times for 217 yards.

Cornell controlled the ball for 35 minutes behind the running duo of fullback Scott Malaga (29 rushes for 125 yards) and tailback Steve Lutz (23 carries for 91 yards).

The big play for the Big Red was a goal-line stand with the Quakers leading, 6-3 Running back Brian Keys (23 carries for 91 yards) got loose for 40 yards on four carries in moving the ball down to the 2-yd. line.

But on fourth down, Keys was stopped a yard short of the goal line. Cornell then took the ball 99 yards in 10 plays, scoring on Lutz's 15-yd. run. It was the Big Red's first lead of the day. The Big Red added a score by Malaga and a 27-yd. field goal by Andy Bednar.

Penn, which clinched a share of the Ivy title with a 52-13 flogging of Harvard last weekend, was limited to 176 yards of total offense and was flagged for 90 yards in penalties.

Columbia 31 Brown 13

Columbia running backs Greg Abbruzzese and Solomon Johnson led a record rushing assault Saturday that carried the Lions to a 31-13 victory over Brown, giving the Lions their second victory of the season and only their second in the last 51 games.

Abbruzzese scored touchdowns on runs of 35 and two yards while gaining 198 yards in 17 carries for Columbia.

Johnson gave the Lions a 7-0 lead with a two-yd., first-quarter run and finished with 145 yards on 14 carries.

Johnson (5-ft., 8-in., 170-lbs) finished the season with 706 yards rushing and Abbruzzese (6-ft.; 1-in., 205-lbs.) finished with 723.

Columbia recorded 444 yards rushing to erase the Lions' single-game team record of 421 yards set in 1946 against Lafayette.

Brown finished 0-9-1 overall, the Bruins first winless season since 1971.

After Johnson's touchdown, Columbia went ahead 14-0 when Chris Della Pietra passed 27 yards to wide receiver Terry Brown after a Bruins' fumble was recovered by the Lions' Wayne Powless.

Brown narrowed the margin to 14-7 on Wayman Caldwell's three-yd. scoring run in the second quarter, but Abbruzzese raced 35 yards down the right side 1:50 into the second half to put Columbia in front 21-7.

Matt Pollard kicked a 33-yd. field goal for the Lions in the third quarter and Abbruzzese's second scoring run capped a 69-yd. drive in the fourth period.

Dartmouth 24 Princeton 17

Dartmouth running back David Clark ran for 130 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Big Green to a 24-17 victory over Princeton at Palmer Stadium Saturday in Princeton, N.J.

Clark's second touchdown of the day, a one-yd. run in the fourth quarter, gave Dartmouth its first winning season since 1982.

Clark carried the ball 12 times, and his first touchdown--a 97-yard run--tied the Ivy League record he set against Harvard five weeks ago. The score tied the game at 10-10 in the third quarter.

Dartmouth opened the fourth quarter with another touchdown when junior quarterback Mark Johnson (18 of 25 passing, 273 yards) threw a 60-yd. pass to Craig Morton (five receptions, 125 yards).

Princeton scored on the next series as Judd Garrett tallied his second touchdown of the day.