Larger Labor Issues

MAIL:

To the Editors of The Crimson:

The dissenting editorial "Big Labor Blues" on Wednesday, November 16, reflects the type of misinformed, condescending sentiment that we only expect from the very worst of our supervisors, who are few in number. John C. Yoo, we hope you are never a manager or supervisor.

Don't you dare call our pay, benefits and larger issues like respect and dignity in the work place mundane. If you want to pursue absolute truths, look at the facts. A majority of employees voted for the union and the administrative law judge found that we did so in a free and fair manner.

Counting the number of angels that fit on the head of a pin may be an appropriate part of your mission in the ivory tower, but here in the office we want to count the increase in our paychecks. We work hard at our jobs and we deserve to be compensated fairly. We deal with reality every day, not abstractions. We are the secretaries, the data entry operators, the accounting assistants, library workers and the technical support staff that carry out the daily mission of the University.

Improving the lives of all who are a part of the Harvard community can only enrich the atmosphere for those who are here for a few short years to improve their minds. Thank you, President Bok, for realizing this and working toward a more just, cooperative workplace. Moira Dolan   Alumni Records, Holyoke Center   Kaye Wild   Class Report Office