Campaigners Mobilize For Cambridge Vote

By Tommy J. Wang

During the last weekend of the campaign season, candidates and activists deluged Cambridge voters with pamphlets, phone calls and door-to-door canvassing.

In the race to serve as central Cambridge's state representative, incumbent Saundra Graham and Democratic nominee Alvin E. Thompson made last-minute attempts to increase their visibility.

Meanwhile other political activists took advantage of Harvard Square's usual Sunday crowds to hawk their positions on the various referenda on the Cambridge ballot.

Graham, who is running a write-in campaign after losing the Democratic primary by 49 votes, must make sure that voters remember to write in her name using the stickers she has provided. Meanwhile Thompson is struggling to retain the advantage of having his name appear alone on the ballot in the 28th Middlesex District.

Graham campaign spokesperson Michael J. Albano said she will be patrolling Central Square with posters today and tomorrow and knocking on doors in an attempt to underscore her candidacy and regain the votes of the constituents who have kept her in office since 1976.

Thompson continues to pursue what his brother George L. Thompson termed a "poor man's campaign." According to his brother, Thompson generally hits the streets in person. In an effort to associate Thompson with other Democratic candidates, Thompson campaigners will be passing out "palm cards"--lists of the names on the Democratic ticket.

Albano said that Graham supporters are hoping that increased Cambridge voter turnout will help Graham, whom he said was defeated by the unusually low showing of 20 percent in the primaries.

According to Meghan L. Mulhern of the Graham campaign, voter iden-