Crimson Dog Days Resume, 24-23

Gridders Fail on Two-Point Play

By Casey J. Lartigue jr.

If the Harvard football team were coasting to a second consecutive Ivy League title, then perhaps the squad would have considered playing it safe and kicking the extra point in Saturday's 24-23 loss to Boston University at The Stadium.

But the Crimson (2-6 overall, 2-3 Ivy) is not fighting for a second consecutive title--it's looking for respect, pride and anything else to salvage the season.

After quarterback Rod MacLeod's two-yd. run had pulled the Crimson to within a point of the Terriers with three minutes remaining, Harvard Coach Joe Restic believed there was only one way for his squad to go--forget the tie and go for the win.

"No question, there is no question at all," Restic said. "I thought there was enough time left on the clock, and anything could happen beyond that."

But MacLeod's pass intended for tight end Don Gajewski was picked off by B.U. safety Mike White. It was one of the six interceptions the Terriers pulled down on the day.

"We had Gajewski open and we just didn't get the ball out far enough," Restic said.

The Crimson was down, but not out of the game. Harvard kicked off and forced the Terriers into a 3rd and-9 situation from the B.U. nine-yd. line.

But B.U. quarterback Jim Schuman beat the blitzing Crimson defense with a 43-yd. pass to Sean Munroe. Harvard, which had used two of its timeouts on the previous scoring drive, was out of timeouts and could only watch, helpless, as B.U. ran out the clock.

"I really thought if we could get on the field one more time," wingback Jim Reidy said, "that we could at least get a field goal."

If the Crimson had gotten the ball again, it would have given kicker Alan Hall a chance to cap off the best day of his career. Hall kicked three field goals, including a pair of 47 yarders. His previous career best was 37 yards.

Hall accounted for the Crimson's only points in the first half. After the Terriers had jumped ahead, 21-0, Hall booted a pair of field goals in the second quarter.

Harvard mistakes gave the Terriers their bulging halftime lead. MacLeod, making his first varsity start after regular quarterback Tom Yohe went down with a broken left fibula last week, tossed four first-half interceptions. He also fumbled at the B.U. four-yd. line.

Although MacLeod overcame his problems to throw for 241 yards and a touchdown, his four interceptions forced the Crimson to play catch up--a situation it has become familiar with this year.

"He threw well," Restic said. "I'm not disappointed in the the way he played. He did throw the interceptions early, and that cost us."

Three of MacLeod's interceptions led directly to the Terriers' 21 first-half points. The Harvard defense did well against the wide-open run-and-shoot offense made famous by the USFL's Houston Gamblers. The Crimson picked off three Schuman passes and held the Terriers to 14 yards rushing in the first half.

But Schuman was able to turn three Crimson miscues into three touchdown passes. Steve Kennelly hauled in a 22-yd. pass from Schuman to open the game's scoring.

The Crimson rallied in the second half behind the running and receiving of Reidy, a 5-ft., 9-in., 190-lb. junior running back.

Reidy had a 51-yd. run and caught a 55-yd. pass from MacLeod.

"Jim Reidy was just a dependable back for us today," Restic said. "He caught the ball well, he ran well and he kept us in the game."

For the Crimson, the goal of an undefeated season was shattered long ago. Saturday's loss means Harvard will end the season with a losing record.

"We've just got to find a new goal," receiver Neil Phillips said. "We've got two games left, and the best thing we can do now is to win the final two games."

The Crimson travels to Philadelphia next Saturday to take on league-leader Penn.