MVP Schmidt

MAIL:

To the Editors of The Crimson:

As a devout fan of Mike Schmidt and the Phillies, I found Neil Cooper's column "The Aging Star Returns Home" (December 9) offensive. Cooper revealed a complete lack of insight concerning Schmitty's career. I can remember 1985, when doubts began to surface about Mike's age and ability to play. He rebounded to have an MVP season in 1986 and to smash his 500th homerun into the Pittsburgh bullpen in 1987. The fans doubted him then, but he proved us wrong.

The author considers Schmidt's stats for the 1988 season mediocre, but I find them remarkable. Sixty-two rbi's over 108 games (in which his appearances often lasted only 3-4 innings) is equivalent to 93 rbi's over a full season--all while hitting only .249 with 12 homeruns on a cellar-dwelling team. Those stats make Schmidt, if not consistently good, then a needed clutch hitter on a team which sorely lacked offense.

Mike Schmidt is still one of the game's greatest players. The shoulder and knee injuries which he has endured would have stopped most players cold, but he has played with pain for years. He knows he can recover from his surgery and return to the diamond in top shape--and the fans of Philadelphia believe in him. Instead of attacking Schmidt in the off-season, why don't we let him prove himself in the batter's box in April? Bridget Asay '92