Firefighter Injures Leg In Central Square Blaze

Fire seriously damaged a three-story home near Central Square yesterday evening, leaving at least nine people homeless and one fire-fighter injured as cold weather hampered efforts to stop the blaze.

According to fire department reports, the fire began in the basement of the six-unit apartment building at 130 Pine Street, then spread to the upper floors. Officials said the cause is under investigation.

The water that sprays from hose connections is usually little more than a nuisance at fires, but as a result of the nine-degree temperature the puddles quickly formed treacherous patches of ice.

A fire department spokesperson said cold weather "always causes problems." Besides the icy puddles, he said condensation inside masks can freeze, obscuring fireifighters vision, he said.

According to the spokesperson, the fire department learned of the blaze just after 7 p.m. yesterday. About 25 firefighters responded and a volunteer auxiliary company was also brought in to shine lights on the building, he said.

Firefighter Peter Cignetti injured his leg while battling the blaze from the third floor of the building, a fellow firefighter said. Cignetti was taken by ambulance to Mt. Auburn hospital.

Shortly after the accident, a hospital spokesperson said Cignetti was in the emergency room "being evaluated." He had been treated and released by 9:30 p.m.

Two other people were treated for smoke inhalation on the scene, the fire department spokesperson said.

A man who said he lived in the building said five other families lived there. There were "about 18 or 19 people altogether," he said, all "working people."

A fire department official said only nine people were displaced.