Group Opposes Development

HSDF Condemns Harvard's Plans for Square

By Jeremy L. Hirsh

The Harvard Square Defense Fund yesterday condemned the plans of several developers, including the University, to build higher, denser projects in the Square area.

At its annual meeting, at Christ's Church on Garden Street, the group outlined its agenda for 1989 with speeches and a presentation on city architecture.

The organization opposes construction plans for several buildings in the Square area, including the Harvard-owned Gulf station and the Harvard Motor Inn, which Harvard has leased to a developer who plans to replace it.

"Harvard University has definitely decided to expand its real estate holdings in Harvard Square and has embarked on a major effort to acquire buildings," HSDF President Gladys P. Gifford said.

HSDF and Mid-Cambridge neighborhood groups oppose plans to rebuild the Gulf station as a hotel, which they say would bring too much traffic through the area, Gifford said.

The group also opposes Harvard's plans to replace the Harvard Motor Inn with a seven-story structure. The organization would like a five-story maximum on all buildings. Gifford said her group would pressure the Cambridge Planning Board, which grants special permits for buildings above 60 feet, to adopt the ceiling.

In a presentation to members, architect Webb Nichols compared Cambridge to several European cities and argued that excessive development would change the city's nature for the worse.

Higher construction decreases the amount of sunlight on the streets, he said, in addition to changing the character of the city.

"The unique character of Cambridge and of Harvard Square, which we can remember, gives us a sense that we belong in this city," he said.

In its efforts to preserve the character of the Square, HDSF is working to have six buildings in the Square designated as historic landmarks, to ensure that they cannot be demolished, Gifford said.

"Harvard has resisted landmarking for most of these buildings, she said.

HSDF is also appealing the special permit granted by the Cambridge Planning Board to Cherry, Webb and Touraine (CWT), the firm developing a project at 12 Mifflin Place. The specialpermit allows the new building to reach 76 feet inheight, but HSDF hopes to limit it to 60 feet.

Finally, the group opposes the efforts ofseveral developers, including Harvard, to getaround the Cambridge parking construction minimumof 1 parking space for every 100 Square feet ofconstruction.

R. Philip Dowds, who has founded the city-wideCambridge Citizens for Livable Neighborhoods, saidhis group would make zoning laws an electionissue.

"It's our intent to make zoning and developmentthe key issues, the most important issues, of the1989 council elections," Dowds said. Principally,he said the council should carry out the DefenseFund's proposal to make the maximum height for newconstruction five stories instead of the currentseven.

Dowds urged citizens to contact their CityCouncil members. "The City Council needs to hearfrom you, and it needs to hear from your friends.It needs to hear from you now," Dowds said.

The aim of HSDF is "to protect the physical andvisual character of Harvard Square, to protect thequality of life of Harvard Square, and thehistoric character," of the Square, Gifford said.HSDF is composed of Harvard Square residents andbusiness people, she said.

Cambridge resident Michael D. Rezendes said hefound the development in the Square verydisappointing. "There was a memory, like in themovie 'Love Story,' and it's missing. It's likewaking up in a different house. You do feel likeit's been taken away from you-you feel alienated,"he said