Vanderbilt Crushes W. Cagers

By Christine Dimino

Sometimes victories can mask flaws. Sometimes a team can escape the consequences of turnovers and fouls.

Only sometimes.

The Harvard women's basketball team's weaknesses finally caught up with it. The Commodores of Vanderbilt capitalized on a series of first half fouls and turnovers to eclipse the Crimson, 94-67, at Briggs Cage Saturday night. Vanderbilt clinched its second Harvard Invitational title in the tournament's eight years.

Harvard (3-2) fell fast and early. The first play after the tip-off, Vanderbilt center Wendy Scholtens scored on a reverse lay-up inside and was fouled. The Crimson had two fouls and a turnover in the first two minutes of the game and trailed, 6-0.

Crimson Co-Captain Sarah Duncan got into foul trouble early and had to sit out most of the first half. "Playing without Sarah bothered us...she's a leader," said Coach Kathy Delaney Smith.

The Crimson's 13 fouls and 18 turnovers in the first half fueled the Commodores' offense. Vanderbilt had three players in double digits. Renae Sallquist's 12 points, Scholtens' 11 and Deborah Denton's 10 paced the Commodores to a 45-29 lead at halftime.

Vanderbilt (3-0) shot an astounding 88 percent from the foul line; 22 of its 94 points were the result of free throws.

Vanderbilt's man-to-man defense stymied the Crimson. Harvard never found its timing. Scholtens and Sallquist pressured the Crimson inside, and the entire Vanderbilt squad frustrated Harvard's passing and shooting.

"I don't know why our offenses were not connecting," Delaney Smith said. "Perhaps it was an intimidation factor."

The Commodores credit a new type of defense."Pressure man-to-man is new to us," saidVanderbilt guard Jill Goldberg. "As a team, wetake pride in it."

"The game was really intense," Goldberg added."To play at that level and execute, you know yougave it your all, and the team gave it their all."

Scholtens was the dominant force on the court.She ignited the scoring barrage and then put the gameaway five minutes in the second half. After firingthe ball to Sallquist, who missed with her jumper,Scholtens recovered the shot and scored toincrease Vanderbilt's lead to 55-35. She led theCommodores in points (25) and rebounds (9) and wasnamed tournament MVP.

"Wendy is not flashy," said Vanderbilt CoachPhil Lee, "but she's consistent."

Despite the loss, Delaney Smith was pleasedwith the Crimson's hard play. "Effort gets youthrough disappointing losses," she said.

THE NOTEBOOK: Harvard center BethChandler had another outstanding game with ateam-high 20 points and 14 rebounds. She wasselected to the All-Tournament team...Goldberg andDenton of Vanderbilt and Beth Mowins and TheresaO'Connell of Lafayette, a 69-54 winner overIllinois-Chicago in the consolation game, roundout the All-Tournament team...Scholtens was theSoutheastern Conference 1988 Freshman of theYear...The Vanderbilt media guide lists theplayers' favorite late-night snacks. For therecord, Denton likes to eat Greek salad with lotsof feta cheese...The Crimson's next game isThursday at 7:30 p.m. at home against Hartford.

Vanderbilt, 94-67 at Briggs Cage

Vanderbilt  45-49--94Harvard  29-38--67

Vanderbilt (94): Nicole Marcelli 0-3--3;Renae Sallquist 6-2--14; Wendy Scholtens 9-7--25;Deb Denton 5-5--16; Jill Goldberg 7-0--14; LisaKing 5-0--10; Jade Huntington 1-0--2; Sarah Mannes0-2--2; Nicole Hare 0-0--0; Lori King 0-1--1;Chris Dunn 1-2--4; Kris Becker 0-0--0; JeanieCarroll 1-0--3; Michelle Kennedy 0-0--0.

Totals: 35-78 22-25 94.

HARVARD (67): Sarah Duncan 3-0--7; JenMazanec 3-0--6; Beth Chandler 9-2--20; HanyaBluestone 1-0--2; Heidi Kosh 2-0--4; Jody Fink1-0--2; Dina Hadrick 1-0--2; Beth Wambach 7-1--17;Sandra Springer 3-1--7; Maura Healey 0-0--0.

Totals: 30-71 4-11 67.

Three-pointers: Vanderbilt Denton, Carroll;Harvard Duncan, Wambach (2). Fouled out: none.Total fouls: Vanderbilt 19, Harvard 21. TechnicalFouls: none. Rebounds: Vanderbilt 50 (Scholtens9), Harvard 42 (Chandler 14). Assists: Vanderbilt26 (Huntington 7), Harvard 24 (Wambach 6). BlockedShots: Vanderbilt 0, Harvard 5 (Duncan, Springer2). Turnovers: Vanderbilt 21, Harvard 25.

A: 100