Ithacan Fans: A Rowdy Model to be Admired

Cohn-Head

By Jonathan S. Cohn

You have to wonder what the members of the Harvard men's hockey team must have been thinking this Sunday when they skated on to the Bright Hockey Arena ice in their first real test of the ECAC season against the Cornell Big Red.

Despite having the home ice "advantage," the icemen were greeted by boos.

Of course, the Harvard fans--the few who made it--did their best to cheer, but the tight group of Ithaca neandrathals holding the South side seats were just too loud.

The Ithacans, whose presence was testimony to their devotion (it's at least a six hour drive from the Cornell campus to Cambridge) were a boisterous, rowdy group.

Take a look at this Harvard fans:

*The Cornell contingent of fans filled their seats a good 15 minutes before face-off.

*They brandished bright red C's and boxer shorts that said "Kiss this, Harvard."

*The band came by its own private transportation, even though exams were scheduled for next week.

"There are so many empty seats," Cornell junior Chris Evans said almost disbelievingly. "If this were Lynah Rink [at Cornell], it would be packed."

In past years, Cornell fans have been known to throw fish at opposing players and tie dead chickens to their goal posts. Some said students spend most of their winter hibernation in upstate New York thinking of new ways to taunt the Harvard goalie.

When the two squads meet in Ithaca, Cornell students just don't miss the game. On Sunday, Harvard students stayed home to study.

Officially, this weekend's game had been a sellout for nearly a week. Unofficially, there were at least 500 empty seats--out of the capacity 3500--well into the second period.

There was the usual core crowd behind the Harvard goal screaming their hearts out. The gang in the bunny masks and the spirited--if not talented--Harvard band did their part, and even the Big Guy made it back for the game. (please see accompanying picture.)

But the alumni and "townies" on the North and East sides of the field didn't carry their weight, and the arena matchup was a draw.

As it turned out, the icemen didn't need any help. A goal 20 seconds into the match let the wind out of the Cornell hot air balloon, and a 9-1 rout left the battered Ithacans with little to cheer about.

Yet, if the game had been close, the icemen might have found themselves fighting a crowd, incredibly, at their own rink.

The icemen might not have to worry about the Big Red on the ice, but Harvard fans, or would-be fans, could do well to learn from their brethren in New York.

Next time, it really might make a difference.

With Christmas just around the corner, maybe the NBA could get into the gift-giving spirit.

One month into the 1988-'89 NBA season, the fledgling Miami Heat still hasn't won a game. They have emotion...they have guts...but no talent.

Last night they lost to the Sacramento Kings, who at 2-13 looked to be the only team in the league they could hope to beat.

Maybe the Detroit Pistons or Los Angeles Lakers, virtually guaranteed a place in the playoffs, could see their way to give Miami a big Christmas present and give them a win.

They don't have a whole lot going, for them. No Heat player is among the top 15 NBA starters in either scoring, rebounding or assists.

Look at Ronnie Siekaly and Roy Sparrow...they've been good boys...they have presents coming to them.

Maybe Santa will find it in its heart to swing down to southern Florida this month.