Heading Off

By Matina S. Horner

When Matina S. Horner took over the presidency of Radcliffe in 1972, students were beginning to wonder what would happen to the institution and its students. A year earlier Radcliffe had merged housing with Harvard and many feared Radcliffe would soon be absorbed completely. At the same time there was heightened activism over quotas on women admits-a majority of the Class of 1972 wore red armbands at Commencement to protest the quota.

It was up to Horner to redefine the role of women at the new "Harvard-Radcliffe." She pushed for equalizing the ratio of men and women admittees; the percentage of women has risen from 20 percent of the student body to 40 percent today.

Horner also ensured that Radcliffe would not die out. She cut what was called a "merger-non-merger" deal with Harvard, finalized in 1977. that let Radcliffe retain its endowment, fundraising and administrative autonomy while merging admissions. Horner fought to preserve Radcliffe in order to ensure that women had an advocate on campus.

But now that Horner is leaving Harvard, it is clear what Radcliffe has become. Horner helped Radcliffe carve its own niche on campus--as a Women's Studies research center of national repute. As Radcliffe poured funds and effort into building up its research capabilities, it abdicated its role as a force for change on women issues at Harvard.

"I haven't had to yell in a while," Horner said two years ago about her role as president. After pressing Harvard to equalize the role of women on campus in the 1970s, Horner's activism petered out. Radcliffe failed to take the lead when the University reviewed its harassment policy a few years ago and when the creation of a Women's Studies concentration was debated. Radcliffe may have built up one of the nation's foremost Women's Studies research centers, but Harvard was one of the last major universities to create a Women's Studies concentration.

Last month, one alumnus questioned whether the role of Radcliffe's president was "to be a thorn in Harvard's side." But with women holding only 7 percent of Harvard's tenured posts and representing only 17 percent of all faculty appointments, and with the festering problems of sexual harassment and unequal ratios of male to female admits, it is necessary for the President of Radcliffe to speak out--or give up her title as the highest advocate for women on campus.

And with the switchover in leadership at Radcliffe, it is also a good time to cut a lot of the red tape left by the semi-merger plan. It was illogical that plans for Quad repairs had to be delayed so they could pass through two bureacracies--Radcliffe's and Harvard's. And it is unfortunate that female admits to the College receive letters accepting them to Radcliffe, but not even mentioning Harvard.

Horner's successor must be a watchdog on the administration and must take a more active role in the University by addressing women's concerns, such as date rape, sexual harrassment and eating problems. The next president must also act to solve academic problems encountered by female undergraduates, who have been alienated by some classroom situations and concentrations. Radcliffe has ensured a place for the women's agenda on campus; it should not allow that agenda to be lost in Harvard's bureaucracy or isolated in Radcliffe Yard.