Grapplers Make Final Homestand a Great Day

By Jonathan E. Benjamin

The Harvard wrestling team bid an appropriate adieu to the Malkin Athletic Center Saturday, defeating Princeton. 20-15, and Boston College, 30-11, in front of 75 spectators.

The victories in the final homestand raise the Crimson's record to 6-5 overall and 1-2 in the Ivy League.

"It was the best way to end the home season," Harvard Coach Jim Peckham said. "Now we've got to see what we can do on the road."

Harvard was led by two-victory performances from Todd Cameron at 118-Ibs. and Tim Keirstead at 150-Ibs. With Harvard on the low side of a 13-3 score against the Tigers, Keirstead scored a reversal with nine seconds left in the match, giving him a 5-4 victory and sparking the Crimson comeback.

His stunning victory was followed by a tie from John Freeman at 158-Ibs., and victories from Co-Captain Peter Holmes at 167-Ibs., John Willoughby at 177-Ibs., Alex Konovalchik at 190-Ibs. and Tony Consigli in the heavyweight slot.

Though Harvard didn't allow Princeton a point in the final four matches, each contest was tight. Holmes, who had coasted to a 7-0-1 record this season, edged his opponent, 3-2. In the final round, Konovalchik scored an escape and was awarded a point to slip by Tiger Paul Dzenitis. Willoughby and Consigli were granted only slightly greater margins of three and two points respectively.

Cameron furthered the Crimson's streak when he pinned Eagle Andy Alusago a minute into the second round. John Liu, at 126-Ibs., shut out B.C.'s Todd Helmbrich for the last four minutes, earning a 9-9 tie.

The boys from Newton, limited to three victories against the hosts, found themselves hard pressed to score points. Harvard's Mark Vandermyde at 142-Ibs., Freeman and David George at 167-Ibs., all blanked their opponents. Without any hope of victory, the Eagles forfeited the 190-Ib. match.

THE NOTEBOOK The Crimson next sees action Friday at Columbia and Saturday at Brown. Harvard plays Yale in New Haven February 27 before finishing up its season at the EIWA Championships in Syracuse.