Cultural Rhythms Event Celebrates Ethnic Pride

Blades Speaks

By Melanie R. Williams

An acclaimed Panamanian entertainer spoke at a luncheon held in his honor Saturday, kicking off a day of cultural celebration.

Ruben Blades delivered a speech to 50 students and faculty members at Kirkland House, before moving on to perform as master of ceremonies for the Cultural Rhythms Show in Sanders Theatre. The Grammy-winning singer, actor and composer was invited by the Harvard Foundation, which hosted both events.

Blades gained national acclaim in 1985 when he won a "Best Album" Grammy for his salsa LP "Escenas." His lyrics often describe political oppression in Latin American and the problems facing working people in the United States barrios.

The 1985 Harvard Law School graduate has also acted in several films including "Fatal Beauty", "Critical Condition" and "Crossover Dreams." He will appear in a film directed by Robert Redford, "The Milagro Beanfield War," which is scheduled for release later this year.

During his speech, Blades emphasized the importance of education in his life and its value in developing countries like his native Panama. He illustrated his point with an anecdote about his return to Panama after completing law school.

In the story, Blades said he spoke with a bathroom attendant and some prominentPanamanian citizens. The bathroom attendant wasimpressed with Blades' academic achievement, hesaid, while the "important" men were moreconcerned with his musical career and ignoredBlades' law degree.

"They could not deal with me in any other waybut to put me in a position of subordination tothem," Blades said about the prominentPanamanians. He said, "The man [the bathroomattendant] being supressed by them was really theman of intelligence."

Blades described how power and the trappings ofeducation appear to poison their recipients, "Wecontinue to see diplomas as a way of getting over.We, instead of becoming part of the answer, becomea part of the problem."

He said that wealth and authority, however,only expose people's true inner character. "Powerdoes not corrupt, and money does not corrupt, itunmasks," Blades said. "Whether you're poor orrich if you don't have a solid spiritualbackground you'll become corrupted."

In his speech, Blades also discusseddifficulties he encountered in his pursuit of acareer in entertainment. He said that many peoplecriticized him for not choosing a moreconventional means of employment.

"Being a member of the Harvard community, Iwill show that there is not a difference betweenhaving an education and following a career in acreative field," Blades said.

"Unfortunately many people today look at aprofession as a way of making money," Blades said."They think the material needs are more importantthan the spiritual needs.