Women Cagers Trounce Quakers, 77-58

Crimson Closes Road Schedule With Commanding Win

By Michael Stankiewicz, Special to the Crimson

PHILADELPHIA--The Harvard women's basketball team played its final road game of the season Saturday night in an appropriate place--the historic Palestra, where the banner displaying Penn's 26 men's Ivy League championships hangs.

The Crimson learned the night before against Princeton that it's going to take much more than a talented line-up to add another year to its own banner in Briggs Cage. Harvard needed some inspiration to return to its championship form.

Maybe it was a glance at Penn's banner. But more likely it was the brilliant play of Harvard's Special K guard tandem--Tri-Captain Barb Keffer and sophomore Heidi Kosh--that helped Harvard regain its title form with a 77-58 victory over Penn Saturday.

"It's a common athletic phenomenon to play poorly after a tough loss," Harvard Coach Kathy Delaney Smith said.

The Crimson (19-4, 10-1 Ivy) remained in first place in the Ivy League, one-game ahead of Dartmouth, which handed Princeton Coach Joan Kowalik her first-ever Ivy League home loss in four years Saturday night, 71-54. Harvard and the Big Green will host Brown and Yale next weekend before meeting March 8 in a game that could determine the Ivy League title.

Saturday, the Quakers jumped to a 15-10 lead in the first half behind Bev Ford's 10 points. Ford was stifled in the second half and finished with only 12 points before fouling out with two minutes left in the game.

The Crimson took command in the middle of the first half with a 23-3 run. Keffer and Kosh sparked Harvard with their pretty passing combinations, which led to several fast break baskets.

"I was really happy about the break tonight," Delaney Smith said. "[Penn] athletically can't play that transition style of game."

Kosh finished the game with 17 points (5-6 from the field, 7-7 from the line), seven assists and three steals while backcourt mate Keffer chipped in 16 points, four rebounds and three assists.

Holding a 41-26 lead at halftime, Harvard turned on the jets again, outscoring the Quakers 15-4 over the first six minutes of the half to build an insurmountable 26-point lead.

NOTEBOOK: "I was a little disappointed about the cheap style of play," said Delaney Smith, referring to Penn's overly-physical style of play Saturday night. Keffer added, "[Penn guard Cheryl Rath] was fouling me all night."...Harvard shot only 35 percent from the field and dished out only six assists against Princeton Friday night.