A Classic Rivalry

By Michael J. Lartigue

Everyone needs a rival.

The Cowboys need the Redskins. The Celtics need the 76ers.

And the Harvard squash team needs Princeton.

Since 1925, when the Crimson and Tigers battled in unofficial matches, the Harvard-Princeton match (or "Match" as it is now called) has taken on an aura.

Harvard's 38-13 advantage does not capture the closeness--often the bitter closeness--of some of the matches. Harvard has been a national contender since 1922, its first year of play. Princeton joined the ranks of elite squash teams in the early 1960s.

Of late. "The Match" has determined the Ivy League and national champion.

Tomorrow afternoon. Chapter 52 will be written.

In 1933, Harvard--playing under 11-year Coach Jack Cowles--played its first official match against Princeton. Captain Foulke, Stephens, Black and Orr (as The Crimson referred to them) led the Tigers to a 4-1 upset of Harvard.

But the following year. Edward R. Sargent '34, George H. Hartford '36 and Richard W. Gilder '34 sparked the Crimson to a 3-2 triumph over the Tigers.

"It's been a tremendous rivalry," said Jack Barnaby, a senior on the 1932 squad and the Crimson coach from 1937 to 1976. "We've had all kinds of close matches. We've dominated the rivalry, but they have always been our toughest competition."

Harvard followed up that win with seven straight victories before Princeton captured a 5-2 victory over the hosts in 1942. After World War II, the Crimson continued to dominate the rivalry, but shared league and nationalbragging rights with Yale. From 1947 to 1965, theracquetmen won 16 of 19 meetings againstPrinceton.

In 1966, Princeton recorded one of its biggestvictories ever. With the score tied at 4-4,Princeton number five man Nick Kourides, an agiletennis convert with deep strokes, battledHarvard's Steve Simpson before a packed gallery onthe number 10 court.

Kourides rallied from a 13-11 deficit in thefourth game to win the game and match, 16-15.

"It felt terrific," said Burt Gay, Princeton'snumber one player in 1966. "Personally it was adisappointment because I lost to Dinny Adams. Butfor the team, it was great. We had one of the bestteams ever."

Princeton's win broke Harvard's 47-game winningstreak.

"While those streaks were certainlyachievements, it wasn't nearly as tough as it isto have a big winning streak today," said Adams,the Crimson captain for the 1965-66 season.

"I can't stand it," Walt Smedley (Princeton'66) jokingly said when told of the Crimson'scurrent 64-game winning streak. "We were probablythe last team to beat them."

In 1974, the racquetmen entered their matchagainst Princeton with a 49-game winning streak.Harvard hadn't lost to Princeton since that 5-4decision in 1966.

With the match tied at 4-4, Princeton numbertwo man Arif Sarfraz recorded a 15-11, 12-15,15-8, 10-15, 15-11 victory over Peter Blasier '74,which sealed the victory and ended the Crimson'swinning streak.

In 1976, coaching in his last Princeton-Harvardmatch, Barnaby said he was hoping for "an act ofGod" to beat the Tigers. The heavily-favoredPrinceton squad was looking to ruin Barnaby's lastcoaching match against Princeton. The Tigers hadbeaten all of their opponents by 9-0 scores.

"If it were a football game, they would havebeen favored by four touchdowns," Barnaby said

"I told the players to throw everything atthem, except the kitchen sink," Barnaby added,"then pick that up and throw it at them. I was areal fat cat after we won the match."

Callahan may have put it best, "Harvard won onefor the Gipper [Barnaby]." Harvard scored astunning 6-3 victory over the Tigers at HemenwayGym.

Princeton captured the next four out of fivematches against the Crimson. On February 2, 1980,the Tigers entered Hemenway Gym with a 43-gamewinning streak.

"The Match" was decided on the last point ofthe day. Chris Robie '82, playing in the numberfive spot, clinched the victory with by edgingJason Fish, 15-13.

On February 6, 1982, neither team had a majorwinning streak, but that match proved to be veryimportant in squash history. The Tigers recorded a5-4 victory over the hosts, which is currently thelast time a Harvard squash has lost.Harvard men's squash Coach DAVE FISH will leadhis squad tomorrow afternoon against the visitingPrinceton Tigers at Hemenway Gym. Fish, who is inhis 12th year, has posted a impressive record of107-7 and has won six Ivy titles. Fish was amember of the Crimson teams that won 49 games in arow.