Union Rotunda Gets Carpeting

Frosh and Staff Voice Concerns

By Salil Kumar

Harvard's Dining Hall Services and Facilities Maintenance last week gave the Freshman Union rotunda a facelift, making the popular alternative to the gloomy main dining hall a little bit brighter.

Over intersession, the dining area adjacent to the Union's main dining hall was closed as the room's venetian blinds were replaced by drapes, an indoor-outdoor green carpet was installed, and the interior was repainted, said Michael Sidabrias, the supervisor of the Union staff. Workers brought in plants on February 3, and future plans include putting up a chandelier, Sidabrias said.

"The rotunda is actually a lovely room," said Director of Harvard Dining Services Frank J. Weissbecker. "But the Venetian blinds were rotting. The floor was dangerous with ruts. And blinds are terrible dirt accumulators," he said.

Students and dining hall workers had mixed reactions to the changes. "I like carpeting," said Christine C. Yang '91. "It makes it look homey."

Describing the green indoor-outdoor carpeting, David W. Levin '91 said that it "has its advantages--to golfers. It makes it more elite, more Harvard," he said.

But some worried that the carpet might not last. "It's nice, but when the rice gets ground in it'll be bad," said Jerome D. Chao '90.

"Nobody likes it. Even the boss doesn't know why they did it," said dining hall worker John Coelho. As soon as someone spills food on the carpet, he said, "It's going to smell."

Some freshmen said they thought the changes were unnecessary. "They should put more money into improving the food instead of the surroundings," said Robert M. Siedlecki '91.