S. African Diplomat Arrested in Vt.

A South African diplomat whose speech at Harvard last year ended with the arrest of several student activists was charged with assault during a demonstration at a Vermont radio station this week.

Duke Kent-Brown, the South African vice-consul, was arrested in South Burlington, Vermont on Monday after he drove his car through a group of hecklers, hitting a demonstrator and a policeman.

Kent-Brown visited Harvard last year to speak at the invitation of the Conservative Club. He was forced to cut short his remarks after Harvard police began to arrest members of the Southern Africa Solidarity Committee (SASC). who were blockading rear exits to the hall where he was speaking.

The two victims of Monday's assault received minor injuries, said Police Chief John Race of South Burlington. Race said the protest followed a interview with WJOY, a local radio station.

Neither Kent-Brown nor other officials reached yesterday at the South African consulate would comment on the incident.

Race said the 30 to 40 protesters harrassed Kent-Brown, following him to his car and climbing on its hood to prevent his departure. Although police asked the protesters to move off of the vehicle, radio disc jockey Barry Richard said the vice-consul started to drive away before many of them had a chance to comply.

"He just drove right through the crowd, basically," said Race.

Police said Kent-Brown was charged with simple assault, which does not require proof of malicious intent for conviction. Conviction carries a maximum sentence of one year's imprisonment or a $1000 fine.

But Race said the vice-consul might not have toappear in court because he is protected by limiteddiplomatic immunity. If he does go to court, Raceadded that Kent-Brown would probably receive ayear's probabation.

In a statement to Richard on Tuesday,Kent-Brown apologized for the disruption. "I'msorry if I shook them up," he said. "I was latefor another appointment."

Richard said Kent-Brown probably acted out offear. He added that in an interview after theassault, the vice-consul told him he had notexpected the activists to be so intimidating. Hequoted Kent-Brown as saying, "I never thought I'dfeel safer in New York City.