Text of Spence's Remarks

When I returned from a week's vacation in February, I found a number of articles and letters in The Crimson, the first of which, on February 9, reported that several students had complained about some fall term lectures by a faculty member that were said to have contained racially insensitive remarks. I also learned that three students had come to the Advisory Committee on Race Relations to express these concerns and to seek advice. They were advised by [Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 and Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III] to address their comments in writing directly to the faculty member.

I have since encountered in conversations with colleagues a number of misunderstandings about the role of the Advisory Committee on Race Relations, the Dean of the Faculty and others in matters such as this. I have also heard concerns and questions about freedom of expression in the classroom. The writer of a recent thoughtful article wondered whether there was a conflict between the students' concerns and academic freedom. Late [Monday] afternoon, I did receive a letter from two of the students who consulted with the Advisory Committee. I asked them to write directly to the faculty member as originally suggested, and I believe they will do that. I have no comment on the substance or the details of the letter, but the general issues seem to me to require some comment.

The relevant aspect of academic freedom, a principle that affects both the substance of, and the process for, resolving disputes over classroom material is that within their area of professional expertise, instructors exercise full discretion over the content of lectures and the conduct of classroom discussion. This implies that deans and other members of Faculty are not empowered to take actions that quality or abridge the freedom of faculty members to teach their courses. The classroom is also a place for open discussion and reasoned debate of views, opinions and arguments, including those that are controversial. As participants in the classroom, our students are entitled to question views with which they disagree, and to express concerns about either the argument or the mode of presentation of the instructor.

In the case at hand, the Advisory Committee on Race Relations did what it was supposed to do--it advised the students how their concerns could be properly pursued, namely, by discussing them with the faculty member. Though one can imagine occassions on which the assistance of a Dean of Faculty or another member of the Faculty might be sought by both parties as a facilitator of discussion, it seems to me that the direct approach is the necessary first step.

Let me turn to a second aspect of the case. To be described as racially insensitive in a fairly public way without having a statement to which to respond, or the opportunity to discuss student concerns directly with them, is to be put in a difficult position. However, to the best of my knowledge, those students who sought guidance from the Advisory Committee on Race Relations have avoided public comment, presumably pending the opportunity to express their views to the faculty member That course of action seems to me judicious and fair. By proceeding in this manner, one minimizes the risks that reputations will be unjustly injured and that members of the University community will come to feel less willing to address controversial subjects.

Clearly, there may be cases in which sharp disagreements persist, and discussion of them may occassionally move into a more public arena. As members of a Faculty with a commitment to free and open debate and an unabridged right to determine the content of our courses, we should be prepared to defend our views. Students also have a right to disagree both within and outside the classroom. The University cannot prevent all of the conflicts that a commitment to free enquiry may provoke. But in this case it continues to be my hope that our students' concerns will be discussed directly with the faculty member and that that process will lead to a better understanding of the issues and concerns on both sides.

This is the statement Dean of the Faculty A. Michael Spence made before the Faculty meeting on Tuesday. He released the text yesterday afternoon.