Tilting at the Lampy Castle

MAIL:

I am writing this letter to comment upon an article in a recent issue of the Crimson that described a controversy over a parody attacking the Lampoon. I was struck by the fact that in this piece the Lampoon was represented (or represented itself) as the repository of good taste, clean fun, and enlightened thought. My own recollection from my days as a student are somewhat different; I recall that the Lampoon's publications and its extra-journalistic activities contained personal attacks on faculty members and students, as well as jibes aimed at minorities and women. Perhaps the Lampoon has changed its style in recent years, but the occasional copy that I come across suggests that such humor has become institutionalized.

At a time when the Harvard administration is attempting to deal with the issue of racism, as well as continuing its efforts to deal with issues of sexism and sexual harassment, perhaps it is appropriate for the Lampoon to deal with its own legacy in these areas. Robert Kushen '84