Greene Lives a Diving Dream

The Eclectic Notebook

By Michael J. Lartigue

After the first day of the NCAA women's swimming championships in Austin, Texas, Harvard is in 14th place with 23 points. Texas University is in first with 211.5 points.

Harvard diver Jenny Greene earned All-America honors by finishing in eighth place in the diving competition with 432.45 points. In qualifying dives, she finished in fifth place with 435.3 points.

Several Crimson records fell yesterday. Linda Suhs swam the 50-yd. freestyle in 23.42 seconds, a Harvard record. She finished in 19th place out of 64 competitors.

Harvard's 200 medley relay finished in 11th place, with Sheila Findley recording a 27.09 time in the 50-yd. backstroke part of the relay, good for a Harvard record.

Wrestling Stars

Eighteen Ivy Leaguers, two more than last year, earned places in the top six of the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association Championships, which were held at Syracuse University two weeks ago, For the second year in a row, the Ivy matmen were led by Brown's Bob Hill, who defended his title at 150 pounds by defeating Paul Radomski of Navy, 4-1.

Hill became the first wrestler from an Ivy League school to win two consecutive EIWA championships since Pat Welch of Cornell captured the 150-pound titles in 1984 and 1985. Harvard had a good showing, with Captain Peter Holmes finishing in fourth place, while Andy Konovalchik placed fifth. Holmes also made first team All-Ivy. while Konovalchik was named Honorable Mention.

Cornell's Eric Kaufman was voted as the Ivy Rookie of the Year. The Big Red (6-0), which won the Ivy Championship for the second straight year, placed six men on the 11-man first team.

Nicknames

Like most athletic teams, the Harvard men's tennis team has nicknames for its players. Roger "Rogus" Berry, Jon "Psycho" Card, Arkie "Archie" Engle, Ken "Haomaster" Hao, Ravi "Harry Krishna" Kumar, Mark "Backo" Leschly, Paul "Stallion I" and Leon "Stallion II" Paland-jian, Hank "Booter" Parichabutr, John "Stiney" Stine-baugh and Rob "Rabbi" Soni star for Harvard.

The coaches also received nicknames. Dave "Gandalf" Fish, who is "Zen Master" during the squash season. And Assistant Coach Steve "Bilbo" Gerstenfeld.

Around the League

Linda Lerch, the head women's basketball coach at Cornell University since 1981, has resigned from that postion. Lerch's seven-year record at Cornell is 64-112.

By a vote of the Ivy League's eight head coaches, Paul Maley of Yale was selected as the 1987-88 Ivy League basketball Player of the Year. Maley, who has earned All-Ivy first team status for the past two seasons, edged out Dartmouth's Jim Barton for the honor.

Quote of the Week

"I would rather you not talk to the players. After the way they played, I can't imagine that they'd have anything intelligent to say"--a distraught Penn, women's basketball Coach Marianne Stanley after her squad lost a 63-58 game to Brown.