Cultured Cajun-Style

Ruggers visit New Orleans

By Casey J. Lartigue jr.

Sophomore Scott Hilinski bought a bag of Cajun Spice Ruffles.

Junior Steve Kahn and a few other Harvard ruggers are renting the New Orleans-based movie "The Big Easy"

The Harvard rugby club figures it's making all the right moves as it embarks on its annual spring break tour.

"We've got to be ready for this," said Kahn, who has never been to New Orleans.

The ruggers head to New Orleanss for 10 days of spring break, looking to play some rugby, have fun, and learn a little Cajun culture.

"The tour is a good way to solidify the side," Lanny Thorndike said. "It's a concentrated period of rugby."

Every year the Crimson makes a trip during spring break, usually to France or the Bahamas. But this year, the cost was too high, and the squad decided to stay in the states.

Thirty-five ruggers will put out $450 dollars apiece.

But while costs have changed the team's plans this year, the team unity that evolves during every tour is expected to remain constant.

"When 35 guys sleep, eat, and drink together for 10 days," Co-Captain Mike Newhouse said, "it just brings you together. The whole idea is to bring the team together rugby-wise and socially."

Can't win 'em all

"Even if we lose all of our games," Kahn said, "there is a different feeling after the tour."

Harvard, which defeated Holy Cross last weekend to open its season, will meet LSU, Tulane, and the New Orleans men's rugby club.

"These games won't hurt our record, we just hope to play well each game," Newhouse said. "We'll concentrate on something different each game."

Where's Coach?

The 35 ruggers, who are currently playing without a coach, will be on their own in New Orleans. Coach Martyn Kingston--a graduate student who teaches on a volunteer basis--is away in South Africa working on his thesis.

The club is not going only for the rugby. New Orleans is a hotbed of culture and fun.

"One reason to go to New Orleans is that its not a quiet spot," Thorndike said. "There's good eating and good music."