Fencers Hope to Follow up N.E. Championship

The Eclectic Notebook

By Michael J. Lartigue

The Harvard women's fencing team took third place in the Ivy League with a 9-7 victory over Columbia last weekend.

The swordswomen notched their first-ever win in New Haven against the Yalies.

To close out its successful week, Harvard also captured its third-straight New England Championships.

Captain Penelope Papailias won her second-straight individual title, Kristina Perkin finished fourth and Amy Neuhardt took fifth. Harvard dropped only one match in the New England tournament.

Papailias defeated M.I.T.'s Linda Yseuta for her second-straight championship.

The swordswomen swept through the 10-team competition, winning 35 of its 36 matches. Perkin, Neuhardt and Papailias each finished with untarnished 9-0 records. Sophomore Michelle Kosch finished at 8-1.

Briggs, sweet Briggs: The Harvard women's basketball team returns home this weekend after grinding it out the last two weeks on the road and trying to hold onto its first-place grip in the Ivy League.

However, a disappointing loss last Friday night in Princeton reduced the Crimson's hold to a mere grasp as the team approaches the end of the season.

But the Crimson, back to full strength for its games against Yale and Brown this weekend and Dartmouth Tuesday night, is looking to use its own form of Crazy Glue--a lightning-quick transition game--to firmly secure the Ivy League title.

Women's Squash: Five women squash players will compete this weekend at the Individual Intercollegiate Championships at Dartmouth: freshman Stephanie Clark, Co-Captain Diana Edge, sophomore Jenny Holleran, junior Sheila Morrissey and sophomore Hope Nichols.

Men's Squash: The Harvard men's squash team will seek its eighth-straight Men's Intercollegiate Squash and Racquets Association six-man championship this weekend at Princeton. Representing the racquetmen are Co-Captain Russ Ball, Jack Colbourne, Doug Lifford, Jim Masland, Darius Pandole and Co-Captain Jack Polsky. Western Ontario is the favorite to dethrone the Crimson.

Quote of the Week: "The team that wants to go to Maine is like a team that wants to book passage on the Titanic or a bus ticket to Little Big Horn. [Maine Coach] Shawn Walsh is like Sitting Bull waiting for Custer."--B.C. Assistant Hockey Coach Steve Cedorchuk said, referring to teams that have to play Maine.