Sports Wrap

Wrestling

By Jonathan E. Benjamin

Cubs 4, Pirates 3

CHICAGO--Leon Durham's tie-breaking home run in the second and Jody Davis' two-run shot in the fourth powered Reggie Patterson and the Chicago Cubs to a 4-3 victory yesterday over the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Patterson (2-0) scattered eight hits, allowed two runs, walked three batters and struck out two in 6 2-3 innings. Jay Baller surrendered Mike Brown's leadoff homer in the eighth, then Lee Smith took over and earned his 33rd save. Rick Reuschel, who had won four in a row, gave up three hits, walked one and strick out six in seven innings and fell to 14-8

Reds 7, Giants 6

SAN FRANCISCO--Eric Davis looped a two-run single to center field in the eighth inning to send Cincinnati ahead and the Reds beat the San Francisco Giants, 7-6, yesterday to remain mathematically alive in the National League West pennant race.

Davis had three hits, including the game-winner off reliever Scott Garrelts (9-5) and drove in four runs. The Reds loaded the bases in the eighth on Dave Concepcion's single, a walk to Bo Diaz and a bunt single by Ron Oester.

Tom Hume (3-4) was the winning pitcher and John Franco earned his 11th save.

Astros 2, Braves

HOUSTON--Phil Garner and Dickie Thon drove in second-inning runs to back rookie Charlie Kerfeld's pitching and give the Astros a 2-0 victory yesterday over the Atlanta Braves.

Kerfeld (3-2) allowed four hits, struck out six and walked two in 8 1/3 innings before Dave Smith took over and picked up his 26th save. Only one Atlanta runner reached as second against Kerfeld.

Steve Bedrosian (7-18) took the

Reds 7, Giants 6

Astros 2, Braves

Steve Bedrosian (7-18) took the