Cambridge Commemorates Holocaust

Week of Activities, Including Original Play, Comprise Remembrance

By Gia Lee

Last Christmas morning, Cambridge families awoke and saw anti-Semitic and racist writing on the walls of the Agassiz School, said Carol E. Hantman, drama director of the Agassiz After School Child Care program.

Soon after two youths were arrested, but according to Hantman the writings continued to shock parents, who met among themselves to discuss prejudice in the community. The director also discussed the episode with the elementary school students in her drama group, and they decided to write and perform a play "to make sure we are sensitive to each other."

The original play about anti-Semitism, entitled "Grafitti," is one event in Cambridge's "Days of Remembrance of the Victims of the Holocaust," which this week will also include exhibits in the city. The commemoration, which was announced in a council proclamation last month, is timed to coincide with an international day commemorating victims of the Holocaust tomorrow.

"Many young people are not really aware of the Holocaust. I think it's important to know that because it indicates what happens when hate and prejudice is carried to its extreme," said Vice Mayor Alice K. Wolf, about the week of remembrance. "we cannot let hate and prejudice seep into even small things in our society."

In past years, Cambridge has recognized the Holocaust National Day of Remembrance with various activities, but this is the first time a week has been proclaimed, said Claire M. Murphy, executive assistant to the mayor.

The programs which highlight this week include displays of books on the Holocaust and distribution of a bibliography of Holocaust literature at city libraries, special instruction at high schools which deals with the Holocaust and issues of prejudice, and the performance of "Grafitti," which will also be broadcast on local cable television.

"It's not only one week every year, but also a broader community education effort," Wolf said.

In commemoration of this week, Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel will hold Holocaust service tonight and tomorrow will show the documentary "Genocide," said Eli S. Feen '90, co-chairman of the Holocaust Remembrance Day planning committee." Hopefully, reflection of the past will help us to act appropriately in the future," he said.

This year is the eight national observance of Holocaust Remembrance Day, said Sam Eskenazi, Director of Public Affairs of the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Council. "Hundreds and hundreds of cities in all parts of the country" are honoring it, he said.