Israelis Arrest 30 Inside Islamic Shrine

Stones, Rubber Bullets Exchanged

JERUSALEM--Israeli police stormed the holiest Islamic site in Jerusalem and pursued hundreds of Palestinians who threw stones after Friday noon prayers. Meanwhile, Soldiers shot an Arab to death in the Gaza Strip.

Police arrested more than 30 Moslem worshipers in the compound of the Dome of the Rock and Al Aqsa mosques on Temple Mount, which is sacred to both Moslems and Jews. The hill is known in Arabic as Harim es-Sharif, or Noble Enclosure.

Israeli warplanes attacked Palestinian guerrilla bases in southern Lebanon. The military command said they scored accurate hits on targets north of Sidon and returned safely.

Ten Palestinians were reported wounded in the Gaza Strip during street battles between soldiers and Arabs protesting the assassination of Khalil Wazir, the PLO military commander. He was killed in Tunis last Saturday by commandos said to be Israelis, and buried Wednesday in Damascus, Syria.

Yesterday's death brings to 170 the number of Arabs killed since a rebellion began December 8 among the 1.5 million Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza, which Israel has occupied since capturing them from Jordan and Egypt in the 1967 war. An Israeli soldier and Jewish settler also have been killed.

About 10,000 worshippers attended prayers on the Moslem Sabbath at Al Aqsa and the adjacent Dome of the Rock, the site from which the prophet Mohammed is said to have ascended to heaven on his horse.

Afterward, hundreds of people threw stones at police, who responded with rubber bullets and clubs, Associated Press photographer Max Nash reported from the scene.

He said the protesters carried black banners and Palestinian flags, which Israel has outlawed, and chanted: "With our spirit and our blood, we will avenge Abu Jihad!"--Wazir's nom de guerre, which means Father of the Holy War.

Police spokesman Rafi Levy put the number of arrests at more than 30. He said officers stayed off Temple Mount until the Arabs stoned a nearby police station, and did not enter the mosques.

Six Arabs were reported injured by rubber bullets and beatings, and five Israeli policemen were hurt by stones.

It was the most violent confrontation on the sacred site since January 15, when up to 100 Palestinians were treated for the effects of tear gas and a police officer was wounded in a knife attack.

In the Gaza Strip, where Wazir spent part of his childhood, Arabs waved black flags and shouted "'Abu Jihad sacrificed his blood!"

Israel radio said a Palestinian was killed when soldiers opened fire in Khan Younis. Soldiers wounded 10 Palestinians at the Jabaliya refugee camp near Gaza City.

Many mosque preachers used noon prayers on the first Sabbath in the Moslem holy month of Ramadan to denounce Israel for Wazir's death and urge the faitful to continue fighting occupation.

Leaflets were distributed at West Bank mosques calling for more protests today, which underground Palestine Liberation Organization leaders have designated a "Day of Rage" to mark a week since the assassination.

Wazir's picture appears on leaflets ordering Palestinians to attack with "stones, petrol bombs, metal balls and slingshots" to avenge his death.

Soldiers fought protesters after Friday prayers in at least three Gaza Strip mosques.

Outside the Omari mosque in Gaza City, troopers hurled tear gas canisters and fired in the air when about 200 young Palestinian left prayers throwing rocks and chanting slogans, Arab witnesses said.