Mavens Consecrates Pots, Pans In Kosher Washing on Charles

By Chris Thorne

While health codes always require restaurants to sterilize their dishware, the just-opened Mavens deli sought to satisfy a higher authority in its bid for cleanliness at a ritual washing yesterday on the Charles River.

As a group of on-lookers gathered at water's edge, the restaurant's owners, a rabbi, and a reverend dipped several dozen pots and pans into the muddy waters to comply with Kosher Jewish laws that require a ceremonial cleansing.

"Your grandmother is going to want a framed picture of this one," Mavens Kosher Court President Mark Weiss said as his nephew, Keith Weiss, stepped into the Charles yesterday.

"So is my podiatrist," joked the younger Weiss, whose feet were immersed chilling waters of the Charles.

Law Professor Alan Dershowitz, who is part-owner of the deli that has drawn national attention, did not attend yesterday's rite.

The ceremony included a procession from the deli's location at 67 Winthrop Street down John F. Kennedy Street. When the groups reached the banks of the Charles, the rabbi and reverend solemnly blessed the cookery as Mavens owners joked for the benefit of the press.

"We've heard of New Year's Eve skinny dipping, but this is ridiculous!" said Mark Weiss.

Down by the River

"The implements must be cleansed in a natural flowing body of water to rinse away impurities," Weiss said. "Conveniently, Mavens is located close to the Charles."

But Weiss played down concerns that a washing in the Charles might do more harm then good to the pots and pans. "We will wash the dishware three times before we use them in the restaurant," he said reassuringly.

Weiss, who is among the 15-partner consortium that owns the deli, said new pots and pans would be consecrated in accordance with Jewish Kosher laws, but that it would likely not include a public ceremony.

Keith Weiss is the fourth generation of his family in the deli business. "The first generation started the tradition of deli ownership in Eastern Europe," said uncle Mark.

As the men immersed the dishes in the Charles River, a group of curious on-lookers started to gather along the bank. "Why is that guy standing in the river?" one of them said.