Laxwomen Go 1-2 Over Spring Break

By Nicholas N. Branca

The Harvard women's lacrosse team was very busy last week. While some people were relaxing on exotic beaches, the laxwomen played four games in four different states.

Harvard finished its four-state excursion with a victory and two losses. One game--a scrimmage against Trenton State--did not count in the standings.

The Crimson defeated Princeton, 9-4, March 26, but fell to both Loyola, 9-7, March 29, and Temple, 13-9, Saturday.

The Crimson (2-2 overall) began its string of games with a solid victory over the Tigers. It was pouring rain, but 40 faithful fans showed up at swampy Soldiers Field.

"We played well considering the weather, but we should have done better," Co-Captain Leelee Groome said.

The Crimson's next stop was Maryland, where Harvard met Loyola. The weather was beautiful, but victory eluded the Crimson.

Last year, the teams battled to a 9-9 tie. This year had a different ending.

Harvard jumped out to a 3-0 lead. But Loyola fought back and tied the game, 6-6, at halftime. Harvard was only able to score once in the second half, and its lone goal was not enough to pull out a victory.

"We did not play badly," Groome said. "But we did not play up to our potential."

Trenton State is last year's Division III Champion, but the team was not a great challenge for the Crimson. The game was played in New Jersey. Had Trenton State won, it would have pulled off quite an April Fool's joke.

"It was a time to get everyone in [the game]," Groome said. "People on the bench got a chance to play."

The road trip ended in Philadelphia with a game against Temple. Last year, Temple smashed Harvard, 10-2, and at first it appeared as if the Crimson was in for a similar thrashing.

The Owls dominated the early going, jumping out to a 5-0 lead. However, the Crimson rallied, and at halftime the score was 5-4.

"We have a problem of not starting with the intensity that we later pick up," Groome said. "Their defense is not that great and neither is their goalie."

Harvard had the momentum going into the second half, but Temple began this half with the same vigor it showed in the opening minutes. Once again the Owls dominated early. The Crimson tried to come back, but never could.

"We played well and were excited at the end of the trip," Groome said. "But we have to start winning if we are going to make it to the NCAA Tournament."

THE NOTEBOOK: Harvard's Ivy League record now stands at 2-0.