A Look at Other Teams In the NCAA Tourney

By Michael J. Lartigue

The NCAA women's tennis tournament could bring several surprises this year. With the expanded tournament and new format, anything can happen.

Well, almost anything.

Defending champion and number one tournament seed Florida will play the winner of the Pepperdine (16th) and Texas (17th) match. Look for the Longhorns to advance to a second round death sentence against Florida.

The Gators are led by Halle Cioffi and Shaun Stafford, ranked third and seventh nationally in singles.

Miami, seeded eight, will face 10th-ranked Arizona State. Both teams received first-round byes. Miami is led by sixth-ranked Ronni Reis and 19th-ranked Jennifer Young.

The Hurricanes will blow away the Sun Devils.

California (5th) and SMU (9th), both with first-round byes, will square-off in the second round. Jennifer Santrock, the nation's ninth-ranked singles player, and Jean Marie Sterling will lead the way for the Mustangs. SMU is also the owner of the nation's number-one ranked doubles team of Clare Evert and Tammy Christensen.

California has the the number 21- and 22-ranked doubles teams, Tiffany Silveria and Jean Marie Lozan and Alissa Finerman and Sharon Fletcher.

The Mustangs will start their engines and roar to the next round.

Oklahoma State (12th) will square-off against Kentucky (6th) in both teams' first match. Jane Wood and Monika Waniek, the nation's ninth-ranked doubles team will lead the way for the Cowboys. The Wildcats will look to Sonia Hahn and Tamaka Takagi to lead the way in singles.

Look for Kentucky to advance to the second round.

USC (3rd) will play the winner of the South Carolina (14th) and BYU (18th) match. The big match will be BYU's Susanna Lee Noot against Paulette Roux.

South Carolina should pull out a close match over BYU.

Indiana (11th) and Georgia (7th) should be one of the closest matches of the day. But there will be no "Hoosier"-type miracle here. Georgia will advance to the next round.

Duke (19th) will face 15th-ranked Arizona in the first round. The winner will play Stanford (2nd) the following day. The Blue Devils will upset the Wildcats in the first round, but the Cinderella story will end there.