Union

MAIL:

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I have noticed recent stories in The Crimson and Boston newspapers indicating that some Harvard employees have felt harassed and uncomfortable under union pressure in its campaign leading up to the representation election.

As one who for a happily brief period was an employee in a union situation, I am not surprised. I can testify that the discomfort will not end if the union wins the election. Economic democracy as exemplified by union representation can be fine in theory and fine also in practice for some (particularly for the advocates who become union officers) but it can be desperately unpleasant for many, particularly for those who may not have the zeal or objectives of the leadership. There can be all the stress of union meetings, oratory and public votes, with the nastiness of peer pressure, office friction and ostracism for dissidents. All of this, of course, is heightened and perpetuated if there is a "job action" or consideration of one.

Much as in the case of centralized authority--even such benevolent "efficient" institutions as city managers and bureaucratic czars--it is wonderful if you agree with their decisions, but an impulse to "throw the rascals out" if you don't.

Employee voters should keep in mind, too, that they will be working for two bosses, usually with conflicting, often incompatible goals, each expecting some loyalty.

Some may relish this atmosphere of trial and tensions, but I know that I have felt fortunate ever since that I did not for very long have to suffer the pulling and hauling of being a unionized employee. Osborne F. Ingram '35