Ivy League Season Opens With Surprises

Brown Ties Yale; Dartmouth Shows Offense in Loss to Penn; Princeton Downs Big Red

Brown 24 Yale 24

PROVIDENCE--Brown tailback Nick Badalato rushed for 99 yards and scored two touchdowns, and Yale tailback Kevin Brice rushed for 98 yards and scored two touchdowns in a 24-24 Ivy League opener Saturday.

Badalato, a sophomore, had 187 total yards in his first collegiate game, including 71 on three returns and 17 on two receptions. He scored rushing touchdowns of two and 10 yards in the first half.

Brice scored the game's first touchdown on a four-yard run in the first quarter and tied the game at 17-17 in the third quarter on a six-yard pass reception from quarterback Bob Verduzco.

Stephan Lins kicked a 47-yard field goal with no time remaining in the first half to give Brown a 17-10 lead.

Brown quarterback Danny Clark tied the game with 1:17 left to play in the third period on a five-yard run.

Neither team threatened to score in the final quarter.

Penn 33 Dartmouth 27

HANOVER--Fullback Jim Beato scored two second-half touchdowns to lead Pennsylvania to a 33-27 win over Dartmouth on Saturday.

Dartmouth (0-1) scored first with 55 seconds to play in the first quarter as Mark Johnson hit Nick Stanham with a five-yard pass in the endzone.

Penn (1-0) recovered a fumble for a touchdown by Dolph Tokarczyk and Rich Friedenburg kicked an 18-yard field goal for a 10-7 halftime lead.

Penn increased the lead to 19-7 in the third quarter on a 39-yard field goal and Beato's first score of the day, a 46-yard romp.

Dartmouth answered early in the fourth quarter on a David Clark 38-yard touchdown run to cut the Penn lead to six, 19-13.

Beato went in for his second score less than four minutes later on a 13-yard run.

Dartmouth struck back with a 47-yard scoring pass from Johnson to Craig Morton. Morton had seven catches for of 180 yards, moving him into second place on Dartmouth's all-time career receiving list. Morton has 1894 yards, behind Jack Daly with 2208.

Penn put the game out of reach on a Brian Keys' touchdown run and a two-point conversion for a 33-20 lead. Dartmouth's Johnson scored one more time for the 33-27 final.

Princeton 26 Cornell 17

ITHACA--Senior fullback Greg DiFelice scored two touchdowns, and the Princeton defense added a touchdown and a safety as the Tigers opened their Ivy League season with a 26-17 victory over host Cornell Saturday.

DeFelice scored on a 5-yard run in the second quarter and added a 1-yard touchdown plunge in the fourth period to ensure Princeton's opening-day victory over Cornell (0-1).

Princeton took the lead for good early in the third quarter when Tiger cornerback Vince Avallone blocked Cornell punter Tom Korbin's kick at the Big Red 20-yard line. Several Princeton players chased the ball into the end zone, but Korbin pushed it out of bounds to prevent the Tigers from recovering it for a touchdown. The safety gave Princeton a 16-14 lead.

Chris Lutz added a 36-yard field goal to make it 19-14, after Princeton took Cornell's free kick and moved to the Big Red 10 before their drive stalled.

Cornell scored two minutes into the second quarter when senior fullback Scott Malaga carried it in from the 4-yard line to cap a 49-yard drive.

Cornell tied the game just before halftime when Dase completed a wobbly 7-yard pass to junior receiver Frank Monago in the end zone.