Soviets Suspend Afghanistan Pullout

Shevardnadze Alleges Violations of Accord

UNITED NATIONS--Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard A. Shevardnadze said yesterday that the pullout of more than 100,000 Red Army troops from Afghanistan has been suspended because of alleged violations of a U.N.-negotiated accord.

In a speech earlier yesterday to the 43rd General Assembly, Shevardnadze proposed that the five permanent members of the Security Council meet to discuss violations of the withdrawal agreement.

"As soon as Soviet troops began to withdraw, a non-stop production line of violations was set in motion," he said.

Shevardnadze later told reporters the Soviets have suspended their pullout.

"We have completed the first stage of our withdrawal," he said, speaking through a translator in a U.N. building hallway.

We have not yet begun the second stage of withdrawal. Let's wait and see, and I raised several questions in my speech today. It is necessary to stop the violations that take place. It is the most important thing," he said.

The Soviet Union has filed numerous complaints to the United Nations alleging that Pakistan is allowing U.S.-backed guerrillas to continue launching raids into Afghanistan from bases in Pakistan.

"This cannot be allowed to happen. The chain of conflict settlement generated by Afghanistan must not be allowed to break," Shevardnadze said.

"We're not complaining to anyone. We have the means to make things fall into place. But we are responsible to the United Nations, and therefore are appealing to it," he said.

Soviet troops entered Afghanistan in December 1979 to replace one Marxist government with another. The United States has supplied arms to Moslem troops fighting the Marxist government of President Najib.

Under the accords signed April 14 in Geneva, the Soviet Union agreed to withdraw half of its 100,000 troops from Afghanistan by Aug. 15 and the remainder by Feb. 15, 1989.

The agreement was signed by the Soviet Union, the United States, Pakistan and the Afghan government. The guerrillas were not party to the talks.

Under the accord, Afghanistan and Pakistan agreed not to interfere in each other's internal affairs. Pakistan has denied aiding the guerrillas.

Shevardnadze said Pakistan and Afghanistan should be invited to the proposed Security Council meeting.

U.S. Secretary of State George Shultz told a news conference in New York Tuesday that the Security Council could meet Friday to discuss violations of the Geneva accords but that the United States does not recognize the Afghan government.

He asked the Afghan government to cease its violations of Pakistan's air space with war plane overfights and air raids on guerrilla camps.