Research Revival

The successful launch of the space shuttle Discovery yesterday put NASA back on its feet, paving the way for important space research which had stalled following the Challenger catastrophe two years ago, Harvard science experts said.

The successful launch of the first American mission in more than two years provides a "tremendous boost to the agency. They can say that they are operational and optimistic about the future. It was a gutsy move that they had to do some time," said Steven S. Murray, associate of the Harvard College Observatory.

"Failure would have been absolutely disasterous," said Phillips Professor of Astrophysics Alexander Dalgarno.

In addition to the importance of the Discoverymission for NASA, many professors said it wouldlead to tangible benefits for the scientificcommunity.

"I am very pleased with the new leadership inthe Office of Space Science and Applications, [by]Len Fisk, and expect that, given thewhere-with-all from Congress, we will takeadvantage of the opportunities for first-ratescience that present technology will allow," saidPaine Professor of Practical Astronomy Irwin I.Shapiro.

The Hubble Space Telescope, which will belaunched via shuttle in February 1990, will allowastronomers to see objects in better detail thanbefore, according to Professor of Astronomy RobertP. Kirshner '70.

"Images will be 10 times sharper, allowing usto see much fainter objects," said Kirshner. Thespace telescope will not be affected by theproblems that plague earth-based telescopes, suchas blurred images and an inability to examine theultraviolet spectrum, he said.

But other professors see obstacles ahead forthe space program. "The real problem lies in alack of long-range goals for NASA, which have notyet been defined by President Reagan," saidGiovanni G. Fazio, lecturer in astronomy. "What weneed is presidential direction."

The high level of technology is another problemspace missions face, according to Professor of theHistory of Science Everett I. Mendelsohn. "We areright on the edge, pushing to the limits of whatwe expect technology to do and our ability tocontrol it because of the complex character of thesystems and the human interface by which wecontrol them," he said.

Some Harvard scientists pointed out thatunmanned space missions would facilitate betterrersearch by allowing greater risks to be taken,but they noted that public support for NASA isdependent on manned missions.

"Science is only a small part. The glamour isreal and people are much more interested [inmanned missions]," Kirshner said. "Without mannedmissions, NASA will lose its support. Because bothpresidential candidates support the space station,NASA will have a future," Dalgarno said.

For one Harvard student, the Discovery's launchhad special meaning. Hillary A. Holloway was astudent at Concord High School, where Challengerastronaut Christa McAuliffe taught before thatshuttle's flight. "I am surprised that the shuttlewas launched, after so many delays," she said.

Holloway commented that it made her sick to seepeople so excited about the Discovery before itssuccessful launch. "They [were] setting themselvesup," she said