Ruggers Rout Tufts, 68-0

The Harvard Rugby Football Club humiliated an overmatched Tufts University team, 68-0, at Soldier's Field Saturday.

The Crimson improved its record to 3-2 overall, 2-1 Metro league. Last Monday, the Crimson lost to powerful University College, hailing from Dublin, Ireland.

Wings Steve Cohn and Dave Bulger scored two tries each and senior Chris Crisera successfully scored on all seven of his conversions, as the Crimson relentlessly built up a 39-0 first half lead.

"The backs were basically running all the plays they wanted," Crisera said. "The Tufts defense was so soft that they scored almost at will."

The second half saw similar almost-effortless scoring, as the Crimson racked up 29 more points.

"It's really important to win a league game," senior Co-Captain John Greenburg said. "To win by this large a margin is practically unheard of. This helps us not only in the seedings for the New England Championships, but psychologically as well."

The New England Championships take place November 4 and 5 in Worcester. Harvard has consistently finished as one of the top teams in New England.

"We've been focusing a lot these past couple of weeks," Crisera said. "We have tremendous depth--50 freshmen tried out this year. Our main goal still is to win the New England Championships."

With the win, the Crimson avenged a loss to Tufts from last season, when the Crimson "C" team was tested against the Tufts "A". After that game, a Tufts newspaper lambasted the Crimson and gloated over the Jumbo win.

"They really made a big deal out of it," Greenburg said.