Cambridge Raises Parking Fines

Motorists Discouraged From Leaving Cars for Extended Hours

In an effort to combat the local parking shortage, caused partly by University affiliates using up metered spaces, the City of Cambridge this week doubled parking meter fines in Harvard Square, on the order of the city Traffic and Parking Department.

The new fines for parking at expired meters, raised from $5 to $10, apply to most Cambridge business districts such as Harvard and Central squares, said Bernard Flynn, Assistant director of traffic and parking.

But Flynn said the department raised the fine to discourage motorists--particularly Harvard staff, faculty and students--from leaving their cars in Cambridge street spaces for extended hours.

"We don't want Harvard students and faculty to hog parking spaces all day while they go to classes," he said.

In the past, many motorists have risked being ticketed the $5 rather than paying parking costs at local garages, the director said.

Although Flynn said that the new policy is not directed specifically at members of the Harvard community, he said that shoppers and business people are being deprived of parking because of the lack of street spaces.

"We're encouraging people to use public transportation," Flynn said.

Harvard parking officials yesterday said the school does provide incentives for its employees to use the `T', namely through a 10 percent monthly `T'-pass subsidy.

Jeffrey L. Smith, parking office manager, also said that his office provides staff members interested in carpooling with lists of other University members living near them. But the University "certainly cannot provide enough parking for everyone," he added.

Cambridge, which had discussed the meter fine hike for 10 months, adopted the increase based on a 1985 study that revealed a shortage of parking spaces in Cambridge.

Flynn suggested that students and faculty urge the University to provide more off-street parking if they find the number of Cambridge spaces inadequate.