Home Invasion: Cadets Shock

Crimson Fails to Hold Lead Again; Fall, 4-3

The Harvard men's hockey team lost at home last night for the first time in a year-and-a-half, falling to Army, 4-3. before 3053 stunned centers at Bright Center.

Harvard last lost at Bright in the 1988 NCAA first round against Michigan State.

Goalie Brooks Chretien (31 saves) led the Cadets to their second straight upset victory. Last week, Chretien blanked Cornell, 2-0.

"This is the greatest win in Army history," said Army Coach Rob Riley, whose squad began Division I play in 1984. "I can't even believe it, when you consider we lost here, 11-1, last year."

For Harvard (0-2-1 overall, 0-2-1 ECAC), the troubles continued. The defending national champions have failed to win a game in three tries this season. After losing to Yale, 6-2, in the season opener last Friday, Harvard could manage only to tie Brown, 3-3, the following evening.


It was a slightly different story against Army, however. While Harvard generated few opportunities last week, they had trouble capitalizing last night.

"We had our chances," Harvard Coach Bill Cleary said. "We just couldn't put the puck in the net."

Army senior right wing Rich Sheridan could put the puck in the net, as he sparked a potent offense with two goals and an assist to lead the Cadets (4-1, 2-1). After Captain C.J. Young put the Crimson ahead, 3-2, with 15:31 remaining, Sheridan took over.

With a man advantage, defenseman Todd Tamburino unleashed a shot that Harvard goalie Allain Roy (25 saves) blocked. Sheridan stuffed in the rebound to tie the game, 3-3, with just over 12 minutes to play.

Four minutes later, Sheridan tallied the game-winner off assists from Scott Schulze and Chris Kindgren, after a scramble in front of the Crimson net. Sheridan then handed the game over to Chretien, who consistently frustrated the Crimson forwards.

With one minute left, Harvard had a chance to tie the score when Tamburino was sent to the penalty box for high-sticking. Chretien repelled the threats and sealed the victory.

"We had great goaltending and great penalty killing," Riley said.

Army got on the board first when Paul Haggerty finished a Cadet power play by knocking in a rebound at the 4:54 mark of the first period. Six minutes later, Crimson junior Scott Barringer brought the puck from behind the right side of the net and flicked a pass to John Murphy, who put it past Chretien to tie the game, 1-1.

"We haven't been able to kill penalties as well as we have in the past," Cleary said. "We have to improve there."

Neither team was able to take the lead until Army scored halfway through the second frame. Sophomore Kevin Darby tallied amidst chaos in front of the Harvard goal, off assists from Al Brenner and Sheridan.