Brown Nabs Ivies in OT

Stickwomen Just Miss First Championship, 2-1

By Angela M. Payne, Special to The Crimson

PROVIDENCE, R.I.--What a long, strange trip it has been.

Unfortunately for the Harvard field hockey team (9-5-0 overall, 4-2 Ivy League), the trip isn't over yet.

The Crimson's seventeen-year Great Trek to Ivy League glory will continue into next season, thanks to the Brown Bruins.

In front of 250 fans on top of Warner Roof (yes, on top), the Bruins (9-5-1 overall, 5-0-1 Ivy League) defeated Harvard, 2-1, yesterday on a Patricia Beatini overtime goal to capture its first Ivy League title since 1984. The Crimson has never won the Ivy championship.

Having lost to Princeton (3-2-0 Ivies) in another 2-1 overtime killer last Saturday, the Crimson will finish either second or third in the Ivies, depending on how the Tigers fare against Cornell later this week.

From the outset, the Bruins succesfully pushed the ball up the field, constantly challenging the Crimson defense and putting extra pressure on sophomore goalie Lisa Yadao. In fact, Brown had already chalked up six penalty corners to Harvard's zero by the end of the first period.

With 15:19 remaining in the half, the Bruin's Christine Monteiro (a name the Crimson won't soon forget) scored from deep on the right side of the circle.

"I should've had it," Yadao said. "It must have hopped or something."

The goal was the freshman forward's ninth, tying the Brown fifteen-year-old record for goals in a season.

Monteiro teamed up with her sister co-captain Natalie to increase Brown's intensity after the goal. The dynamic duo played a key role in the Bears' offensive transitions throughout the game.

Despite the strong Brown attack, the Crimson defense held fast and effectively broke up the Bruin corners, keeping the score down to 1-0 at halftime.

In the second half, Brown showed why it has been described as a "very, very physical team."

Between the pushing, shoving and occasional elbowing, Harvard managed to get the ball upfield by utilizing stick-to-stick passing and keeping closer control of the ball.

With only 13:05 remaining in the game, Harvard got its first penalty corner of the game. The Crimson made the most of it.

Senior wing Lisa Cutone hit the ball out to her linemate Sharon Landau, who stopped the ball for Co-Captain Char Joslin. Joslin whaled the ball towards the upper left corner of the net over Bruin goalie Sarah Lamont for what seemed to be a sure goal. But Bruin senior back Laura Sullivan materialized from nowhere, stopping the ball with her hand to give the Crimson a penalty stroke.

In the one-on-one face off with Lamont, Cutone, Harvard's designated flicker, pushed the ball in the net with one strong, quick stroke to tie the game at 1-1.

"She's a goalie who tries to psyche you out, banging on the goal and saying she's not ready for the shot," Cutone said. "I've taken a lot of shots and that's never happened. I'm just really glad I put it in."

The Crimson defense, led by Yadao, Joslin and Co-Captain Erin O'Brien, continued to stall the aggressive Brown offense, breaking up their last two penalty corners and forcing them into a ten-minute do-or-die overtime period.

When Harvard forced penalty corners with 8:25 left in the game, the tides began to look as if they were ready to turn.

But the Crimson's good luck proved only temporary.

With 5:16 remaining, Brown got a penalty corner of their own, and after a brief scramble, sophomore Patricia Beatini deflected a Yadao save into the net, abruptly ending Harvard's quest for a 1989 Ivy League title.

"We didn't get shots on goal and if you don'tget shots on goal, you're not going to win,"Caples said. "They outplayed us. No question aboutit."

Brown's solid defense, allowing for only fiveHarvard corners and no regular play goals, was abig factor in the Bruin victory. Tight markingmade the difference.

"They were the best defensive team we'veplayed," sophomore Becky Gaffney said.

"We marked all the time, whether we had theball or not," Brown coach Wendy Anderson said. "Wekeyed in on Char [Joslin], who makes your teamwork. Defense is the strength of my team."

The Crimson will have its chance for revengeagainst Princeton in the ECAC championships thisSaturday at Soldier's Field. If Harvard can getpast the Tigers, a rematch with Brown may be onthe horizon.

"Revenge," Gaffney predicted. "They didn'tdeserve to win last time."

"I think we'll come out like crazy women,"Cutone said. "It's going to be fun."

Bruins, 2-1 in Providence, R.I.

Brown  1-0-1--2HARVARD  0-1-0--1

Goals--B, Chris Monteiro (unassisted),22:08; H, Lisa Cutone (unassisted), 54:41; B,Patricia Beatini (Virginia Smith, Monteiro),74:50.

Saves--B, Sarah Lamont 7; H, Lisa Yadao11