Princeton Stomps Cornell to Share Title

Ivy Wrap

PRINCETON, N.J.--Princeton gained a share of its first Ivy League title in 20 years as Judd Garrett scored twice and set three more school rushing records, leading the Tigers over Cornell, 21-7, here Saturday.

Garrett had an outstanding end to a career that saw him become Princeton's all-time leading rusher. He carried 24 times for 129 years, and his second-half touchdown runs of 55 and 20 yards were the difference.

The Big Red (3-6-0 overall, 1-5-0 Ivy), defending league co-champions, bottled up Garrett most of the three quarters. But with the score tied at 7 late in the third quarter, Garrett took a handoff from quarterback Joel Sharp, burst through a hole and went 55 yards for his longest scoring run of the season and a 14-7 lead.

The Tigers (7-2-1, 6-1-0) wrapped up the game early in the fourth quarter when Cornell mishandled a punt and Joe Macaione recovered at the 20. Garrett went 15 yards untouched on first down for his 17th touchdown of the season.

Dartmouth 24, Penn 0

PHILADELPHIA--Mark Johnson threw two touchdown passes to Nick Stanahan as Dartmouth (5-5-0, 4-3-0) captured its first triumph over Penn (4-5-0, 2-4-0) in the last seven meetings.

Dartmouth opened with a 22-yd. field goal by Carl Romero on its first drive after fumbling, then recovering, the opening kickoff.

Penn got into Dartmouth territory once--late in the first quarter--but Malcolm Glover threw an interception to Brad Preble at the 14-yd line.

Brown 41, Columbia 28

PROVIDENCE, R.I.--Danny Clark threw for 231 yards and two touchdowns and running backs Jon Skinner and Nick Badalato added two scores apiece to give the Bruins (2-8-0, 2-5-0) the win.

Brown led, 26-21, at halftime, and marched 71 yards on the opening drive of the second half to score on a 1-yd. plunge by Badalato.

Bruce Mayhew pulled Columbia (1-9-0, 1-6-0) back to a five-point margin, 33-28, with a 7-yd. touchdown run up the middle, but Skinner widened the margin with a 1-yd. score late in the third quarter.

Skinner's 1-yd. touchdown run closed out the scoring.