Aquawomen Roll Past Lions

Sports Wrap

The Harvard women's swimming team started its season with an impressive 87-52 victory over Columbia Saturday in New York.

The defending Eastern champions had no problems against the Lions, racing to a 53-8 lead after six events. Not counting the events Harvard swam for exhibition, the Crimson swept every race of the meet.

"Since it was our first meet of the year," Coach Maura Costin Scalise said, "it was pretty much a trial run."

Top finishers for the Crimson included Stacie Duncan in the 1000 freestyle, Sheila Findley in the 100 and 200 backstroke, Co-Captain Mia Costello in the 100 and 200 breast-stroke and Co-Captain Jenny Meyer in the 500 freestyle and 200 individual medley.

The meet was a perfect opportunity for the Crimson to prepare for this weekend's Alabama Invitational, where Harvard will face some of the top teams in the country, including third-ranked Florida next Saturday.

"Our goal this year is to go out and swim against nationally-ranked teams," Costin Scalise said. "We got invited because of our recent success. But we also want to try and qualify some of our swimmers for the nationals."