Yard Gets New Main Auto, Truck Entrance

By Erik M. Weitzman

Getting into Harvard is still the hardest part.

For the second time in six years, the University is trying to figure out the best way for cars and trucks to enter Harvard Yard.

In an attempt to reduce traffic in the Yard, University officials have made the Mass Ave. gate behind Widener Library the main delivery entrance, replacing the West Yard's Johnston Gate, Harvard officials said yesterday.

Since Widener is the destination for most vehicles, the proximity of the Widener gate makes it a more convenient delivery entrance than Johnston Gate, and using it will cut down on traffic inother parts of the Yard, said Jeffrey L. Smith,parking office manager.

The safety of pedestrians has been threatenedby a significant increase in the number ofvehicles entering the Yard, Smith said.

"There have been a number of incidents wherethere's been the potential for serious injury,"said Smith. "You walk through those gates andyou're not expecting to have to compete withvehicles...You suddenly look over your shoulderand there's a car or truck."

Increased traffic has also taken its toll onthe grounds, causing costly damage each year tosprinkler heads, grass and shrubs in the Yard,Smith said.

Under the new plan, vehicular access to therest of the Yard will normally be restricted, sopackages heading for other Yard buildings will bedelivered only by hand, Smith said.

Johnston Gate will still be open in themornings for oversize vehicles or vehicles withcargo that cannot be carried easily, Smith said.

Ironically, in 1983 the administration replacedthe Mass Ave. Gate, traditionally the mainentrance, with Johnston Gate, which was able toaccommodate larger trucks.

Included in this move was the construction of a$25,000 guardhouse which took more than threeyears to design and build.

Now that the delivery entrance has been movedback behind Widener, the gate's suitability isagain becoming a matter of concern, workers said.

Robert V. Travers, a traffic attendent atHarvard for 27 years, said that when the gate wasopen in the past, there often was a build-up ofexhaust fumes from trucks driving up to thelibrary. Furthermore, officials found that trucksentering the gate had to make a tight turn.

The new plan appears to be working well so far,said Thomas E. Vautin, director of facilitiesmanagement, who added that fumes are not aproblem. "We're not intending that the vehiclesstay there for a long period of time with theirengines running," Vautin said