Beth Reilly To Captain W. Booters

They already call her Ripper. Now they can call her Skipper, too.

Beth "Ripper" Reilly, the starting goaltender for the Harvard women's soccer team, has been elected to captain the Crimson ship for the 1990 season.

"I'm really optimistic about next year, which makes this honor even more exciting," Reilly said. "We have expectations to win the Ivy League and even realistic ambitions beyond the league."

This season, Reilly (and the Crimson) posted a 6-7-1 overall record, highlighted by a 5-1 showing in the Ivy League, good enough for a second place finish for the team. The junior netminder had a 0.69 goals-against average, and saved 92 percent of the shots she faced.

Next year, the Crimson should make a strong showing in the Ivies. Led by Reilly and classmates Tracy Hackeling, Tara Weinstock, Tory Fair and Ann Kletz, Harvard's 10 returning starters have already begun winter workouts.

However, Reilly has some other pressing business to take care of this spring as the starting third baseman for the Harvard softball team.

"I'll try to do justice to both teams," Reilly said. "As far as soccer goes, I'm fortunate to have a great class that doesn't need much leadership."

Reilly replaces the Crimson's only two graduating seniors, Co-Captains Andi Montalbano and Jen Gifford. Montalbano should be selected to her fourth straight All-Ivy first time later this week. Gifford missed all but one game of the season with a knee injury, but travelled with the team throughout the season.