Grapplers Flattened by Brown, 28-8; Janis, Stachtiaris Win

Cole Loses First Match of Year When Forced to Withdraw With Rib Injury

By Dan Breiner

After winning two of its first three bouts against Brown on Saturday, the Harvard wrestling team suffered losses in the next six en route to a 28-8 defeat by the Bruins at Malkin Athletic Center.

Harvard's record dropped to 9-8 overall and 1-4 in Ivy League competition, while the Bruins raised their record to 13-3 overall and 4-1 Ivy.

"We wrestled flat," Crimson Coach Jim Peckham said. "Brown's a well-coached team. They have five seniors, and outshot us on takedowns."

In the first bout of the day, Harvard's Brett Janis outwrestled Kevin McCarthy, 5-2, in the 118-1b. category to give the Crimson a 3-0 decision. With the win, Janis raised his personal record to 11-4 on the season.

The following bout pitted Harvard's Sam Cole--18-0 going into the match--against fellow freshman Matt Casto. Thirty seconds into the contest, Cole, who injured his ribs the day before, reaggravated the injury.

At the end of the first period, which saw Cole facing a five-point deficit, Peckham withdrew Cole to give Brown a six-point win by default.

"That was a big loss," Peckham said. "I pulled him out of the match, [even though] he wanted to stay in."

Down by three points in the match, the Crimson then tied it up when Ted Stachtiaris tallied a 5-4 win over Mike Foley of Brown in the 134-1b. class, earning Harvard a three-point decision and knotting the score, 6-6.

But it was all downhill from there for the Crimson, as the Bruins won the next six bouts and earned a draw in the heavyweight competition.

In the 142-1b. category, Brown's Joe Bury upended Scott Beck, 7-3, to give the Bruins a three-point decision.

Brown Coach Dave Amato saw the 126-1b. and 142-1b. matches as the key bouts of the day.

"After winning those two bouts," Amato said, "I knew we were home free."

The Bruins extended their lead to seven points when Kirk Salvo defeated Tim Kierstead at 150 lbs., and made the score 17-6 when E.C. Meulhaupt routed Fred Jenkins, 19-5, in the 158-1b. division.

At 167 lbs., Joe Mocco of Brown edged out David George, 1-0, by scoring an escape early in the third period.

Lance Minor continued the Bruin streak with a 6-2 win over John Willoughby in the 177-1b. class, and Doug Gronda nipped Alex Konovalchik, 5-4, in the 190-lb. category.

The day's final bout between heavyweights Kelly Flynn of Harvard and Ralph Stanley ended in a 2-2 draw, giving both squads two points.