Freshmen Raise Thinclads' Hopes

Track

By Christopher M. Thorne

The eyes of Texas will be on the Harvard track team as it travels to Houston, for its outdoor season opener against Rice University March 30th and April 1st. Both the men's and women's teams won the Greater Boston Indoor Championships over the winter and are hoping for a repeat performance this spring in the outdoor competition.

"The last time the men's team won GBC's was in '81," senior Rutledge Simmons said. "The team is definitely stronger than last year. We have a strong freshman class."

Simmons specializes in the triple jump.

"My goal is to jump at least 47-ft. this year," he said. "My personal best last year was 45-ft., 11-in., and my best so far this year has been 45-ft., 3-in."

Among the excellent recruits who have brought talent to the team is freshman sprinter/jumper Derrick Horner. "He's a freshman phenom," Simmons said, "He's going to fare well in the Ivies."

At the IC4A Indoor Championships, Horner qualified for the finals in the long jump and won his heat in the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.3 seconds. Horner is also competitive in the 55-meter dash and 400-meter relay events.

Other outstanding Harvard freshmen include Dean Lufkin in the triple jump and Ed Rios in the high hurdles.

In addition to freshmen talent, the Crimson men's squad also has excellent senior leadership in Co-Captains Donald Lavigne and Brian Cann. Lavigne specializes in the 400 meter dash, and Cann is the team's top distance runner.

"The captains are enthusiastic about the program and provide inspiration to the team both on and off the track," Simmons said.

Entering the final season of their collegiate track careers, several other seniors are expected to turn some heads this year--Chris Sullivan in the high jump, Peter Kramer and Erik Rahe in the 800-meter run and javelin throwers Sean Carew and Ray O'Hare.

The men's team has two main goals for the spring season: beat Yale and fare well in the Heptagonals. The Crimson would like to win the Heps, but a finish in the top five (out of 10 teams) is a more realistic goal.

Reaching For The Sky

The Harvard women's team has also set lofty goals for the outdoor season.

"Our main goal is to win the Heps," freshman Christine Roberge said. "We took second in the indoor Heps."

"We also want to keep everyone healthy," Roberge added. Preventing injuries and illness will enable the team to field a larger squad and avoid the situation where a few individuals are forced to compete in several events.

Roberge, who competes in the high jump, long jump and hurdles, is one of a slew of freshmen whose talent helped the team win the Greater Boston Indoor Championships. Some of the other freshmen include Wanita Lopeter and Jamelle Bowers in the sprints, and Rita Raju in the triple.

The women's team is led by Co-Captains Nancy Lutz and Elizabeth Ross.

"Our two captains pull the team together, and Meridith Rainey inspires Men's Track Coach:  Frank Haggerty Captains:  Dan Lavigne, Brian Cann Last Year:  (1-2, 0-2) Home Meets:  McCurdy Track The Schedule

April Sat, 8  at Northeastern  12:00 p.m. Sat, 15  at Yale/Oxford/Camnbridge  12:00 p.m. Sat, 22  at Dartmouth/UNH/Maine  1:00 p.m. Thu, 27- at Penn Relays  -- Sat, 29  (at Philadelphia, Pa.)  -- Sun, 30  at GBCs  --   (at Northeastern)

May Sat, 6-  at Heptagonals  -- Sun, 7  (at Columbia)  -- Women's Track Coach:  Frank Haggerty Captains:  Nancy Lutz, Elizabeth Ross Last Year:  (1-2, 0-2) Home Meets:  McCurdy Track The Schedule

April Sat, 15  at Yale/Oxford/Cambridge  12:00 p.m. Sat, 22  at Dartmouth/UNH/Maine   1:00 p.m. Thu, 27-  at Penn Relays  -- Sat, 29  (at Philadelphia, Pa.)  -- Sun, 30  at GBCs  --   (at Northeastern)

May Sat, 6-  at Heptagonal Champs  -- Sun, 7  (at Columbia)  -- Fri, 12-  at ECAC Champs  -- Sun, 14  (at George Mason)  -- everyone," Roberge said.

Rainey, who excels in every event from the55-meter dash to the 800-meter run, qualified forthe NCAA indoor championships in the 400-meterdash and won the 800-meter event in the ECACchampionships with a time of 2:11.64.

"As good as she is, everyone can look up toher," said Roberge. "She always finds somethinggood to say, even when you haven't done well."

Harvard's only other NCAA qualifier was Jones,who earned All-America honors by placing fifth inthe 5000-meter run at the NCAAs in Indianapolislast weekend.

NCAA Qualifier

Jones' time of 16:09.74 is the second fastesttime ever run by a Harvard woman, and is just nineseconds behind Harvard's all-time record of 16:00set by Kate Wiley '85